• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Help with Graphics modding
10-18-2015, 08:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-18-2015, 08:06 PM by phoenix.)
Help with Graphics modding
Can anyone give me some quick guidance on a graphics modding issue?

I'm always trying to get rid of the hexy feel of the maps, and a major contributor to that (since version 2 series, at least) is the rivers. They are found in the hex sides files in the Maps folder and I've tried editing them to make them less jaggy, more curvy, basically. Without much success, perhaps because I'm only using Paint and it's hard to get colours to match up.

So, it occurred to me that the best way might be to smooth out the jagginess simply by colouring in some of the edges with the neutral background colour of the hex edge file (which is a kind of purple). I assume what happens is the program ignores that colour and uses the base colour (the earth colour of the background hex being edged, for example) wherever it occurs. But I can't match exactly that background purple colour. I'm messing around in Kursk '43 to test all this.  Hopefully someone who knows about the graphics will know what I mean?

Does anyone know a way to exactly identify the colour of the background in the 2dhexsides50 and 100 files in the Map folder? Or am I on the wrong track here?

Thanks

Peter
Quote this message in a reply
10-18-2015, 10:49 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-18-2015, 10:50 PM by -72-.)
RE: Help with Graphics modding
The key is which hexidecimal code is the colour that you are trying to match.

In this case, assuming that you were using stock graphics from the start is: #DEB6B6   ( - I bolded that to make it stand out better - not meaning to come off as shouting or anything like that ;) -that is how HTML would interpret the background colour... never mind that for the moment).

The situation is that you want to get that code into your paint's custom colours - and I think this link might tell you how to do that (I cheat -in that what I use does it for me automatically).

https://www.neofriends.net/threads/how-t...int.18198/
Send this user an email
10-19-2015, 12:38 AM,
Great Trauth. I'll check it out. Many thanks!

Peter
10-19-2015, 12:42 AM,
Brilliant. Just checked out the link. I think I'll be able to do it now. Thanks again, Trauth.
10-19-2015, 08:16 AM,
(10-19-2015, 12:42 AM)phoenix Wrote: Brilliant. Just checked out the link. I think I'll be able to do it now. Thanks again, Trauth.

If for some reason that it doesn't work, it means that I have the hexidecimal code wrong -in that case, if you could post a portion of the file with the background colour that you are working with, I will see if I can get you the correct code (I used my own stock image in Kursk '43).

I used what I had in Kursk '43 which I think was the stock image file.
Send this user an email
10-19-2015, 06:43 PM,
Not sure what I'm working with. Maybe it's the sideless hexes Strela provided. It's not the code you gave, but that's ok as the links you gave led to lots of useful info and links, and I downloaded 'GetColour' which says it's #C474CC, and also gives me the exact RGB Dec to put into Paint. Excellent. Thanks Trauth. Now I'll have some fun thinning and de-angling rivers.

Peter
10-20-2015, 02:51 AM,
At some time you might want to invest on a full blown graphics editor, such as GIMP which is a free download but comes with a bit of a learning curve. Commercial editors are not the most straight forward either though.

Once there though, you could enjoy a ton of helpful little tools that will make editing those files so much easier. Helmet Smile
Visit us at CSLegion.com