• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Clash of Empires EP 14
08-25-2015, 12:36 AM,
RE: Clash of Empires EP 14
ComradeP & others: Trying to follow the discussion, are you talking about the first Campaign Scenario 1914_0820_01s Clash of Empires ?
Quote this message in a reply
08-25-2015, 02:14 AM,
Yes, I'm talking about that one (the full non-dynamic August campaign) and the full Lodz campaign scenarios.
08-25-2015, 04:46 AM,
"I was referring to the Russian units in the southwest, which face little opposition initially and which start relatively close to objectives. Territorial gains elsewhere combined with Russian cavalry in the rear might cause a sudden death victory based on comments from players thus far that the Russians were in some cases close to victory (before the arrival of German units from the northern part of the map) without a breakthrough to the German rear."

That cavalry starts the game with 90 fatigue, has no support and if you try to use them for anything other than scouting for your infantry advance they will soon get into serious trouble; although the German player better be aware of them and the propensity by some players to go for a ride. jonny Helmet Wink
08-25-2015, 05:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-25-2015, 05:23 AM by Volcano Man.)
(08-24-2015, 07:05 PM)ComradeP Wrote: Still, I'll start a campaign game soon to see what it's like in practice before drawing further conclusions based purely on the map and dispositions.

Theories are nice but nothing substitutes for actual play against a skilled opponent. Wink

It is often surprising to see how little a skilled opponent cooperates with plans and evaluations. :(
Send this user an email
08-26-2015, 12:49 AM,
(08-25-2015, 05:21 AM)Volcano Man Wrote:
(08-24-2015, 07:05 PM)ComradeP Wrote: Still, I'll start a campaign game soon to see what it's like in practice before drawing further conclusions based purely on the map and dispositions.

Theories are nice but nothing substitutes for actual play against a skilled opponent. Wink

It is often surprising to see how little a skilled opponent cooperates with plans and evaluations. :(

Ed, not to throw you a curve, but could you as the designer, elaborate on that somewhat cryptic statement Helmet Wink I`m thinking of taking a live game on and It just seems from looking at the map and the OOB for the 206 T 1914 GC, it`s best played as an experienced German VS a much less experienced Russian ( me )
FoW
08-26-2015, 03:22 AM,
(08-25-2015, 04:46 AM)jonnymacbrown Wrote: "I was referring to the Russian units in the southwest, which face little opposition initially and which start relatively close to objectives. Territorial gains elsewhere combined with Russian cavalry in the rear might cause a sudden death victory based on comments from players thus far that the Russians were in some cases close to victory (before the arrival of German units from the northern part of the map) without a breakthrough to the German rear."

That cavalry starts the game with 90 fatigue, has no support and if you try to use them for anything other than scouting for your infantry advance they will soon get into serious trouble; although the German player better be aware of them and the propensity by some players to go for a ride. jonny Helmet Wink

This scenario really reminds me of two separate games combined into one. The choice made by the Germans after the first day will really determine how it goes.

In the North the Germans can hammer the Russians if they want stay and press their attack home but they will give a lot of ground in the South if they don't send some forces South.

The Russians can filter through the few Germans in the South or try to defeat them in detail, there is a lot of open map down there. If they manage to slip a Corp through the lines they could hold VP hexes captured by the cavalry. They may not get a Sudden Death victory but they will be in good shape to get a victory of some sort.

There aren't many German units in the way of a lot of the cavalry so if the Russian wanted to just run them up North as fast as possible they can really be a big headache. They can all be lost and not have a big effect on the score if they delay units transferring or if the capture enough VP hexes that can be protected by infantry.
08-26-2015, 08:37 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-26-2015, 08:38 AM by Volcano Man.)
(08-26-2015, 12:49 AM)Fog of War Wrote: Ed, not to throw you a curve, but could you as the designer, elaborate on that somewhat cryptic statement Helmet Wink I`m thinking of taking a live game on and It just seems from looking at the map and the OOB for the 206 T 1914 GC, it`s best played as an experienced German VS a much less experienced Russian ( me )
FoW

I was merely saying that you can analyze the scenario all day long, but just about all that analysis means nothing or may go out the window against a skilled opponent. Usually he won't cooperate. ;)

But yes, I would say the more experienced player should take the Central Powers side here.
Send this user an email
08-26-2015, 07:06 PM,
Quote:That cavalry starts the game with 90 fatigue, has no support and if you try to use them for anything other than scouting for your infantry advance they will soon get into serious trouble; although the German player better be aware of them and the propensity by some players to go for a ride. jonny

The problem is that in order for the fatigue and their vulnerability to matter, the German player would need to both know where they are and have anything in the area to stop them. As you can see, the southwestern part of the map is thinly held. The Thorn garrison could help, but if it needs to go there, it can't help XX Korps. Edges of the map can be problematic, and in this case the actual defenses along the Vistula and other rivers in that area are abstracted in the sense that there are only a limited number of defenders and no off-map units will respond to a threat.

Credit where credit is due: the scenario designer did a good job of not placing any victory locations directly in that area, which does help.

Every German unit trying to stop/find your cavalry from breaking through makes it easier for the infantry to break through.

Anyway, I'm thinking about starting a game as the Central Powers and another one as the Russians to see how it goes.