• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Fixed units and Tunnels in Tour of Duty
07-28-2015, 03:54 AM,
Fixed units and Tunnels in Tour of Duty
Hi all,
Working on a new scenario for ToD and making good use of the Tunnels featureDevil, and it was here that I made a curious discovery, fixed units can make use of tunnel movement!!Crazy

Rather spoiled my scenario design because I had planned to start off with the majority of VC units fixed in their tunnels and only activating when they get triggered by the Americans sweep , but if the "Fixed" VC units can move.. Grrrr

..anyway I will find a workaround and hopefully get it up for playtesting later this week.Read2

Anyone else noticed this? I presume it is the same in all the SB series but I havent checked out the others yet.
Quote this message in a reply
07-28-2015, 04:20 AM,
RE: Fixed units and Tunnels in Tour of Duty
Interesting. Tunnel use has never gotten a ton a play in most of the games. A few here and there. Pretty strange about the movement. Maybe Fix them a hex or two away from the tunnel, but in a place where they won't be spotted?
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
07-28-2015, 02:48 PM,
RE: Fixed units and Tunnels in Tour of Duty
Tunnel movement doesn't go hex by hex, but from entrance to entrance as long as the unit has enough movement points to reach the hex (movement point cost is given in the pdt file and just counts the number of hexes). This is because you can't have two elevations in the same hex in SB. If there is ever another update to the SB engine, this might be something that could be looked at (making fixed units not eligible for tunnel movement, not two elevations in the same hex; we asked for that some time ago and were told "no").

Tunnel or cave movement is a great way to move as it is fast (too fast in my humble opinion) and doesn't expose your units to fire. You can use it to sneak behind your opponent, retreat from a bad position or a host of other possibilities. Pacific scenarios have it included in numerous scenarios and you should think about the possibilities if it is an option.

Jeff