• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Operation Husky - Playing the Sicily 43 Campaign Game
07-28-2015, 03:13 AM,
Operation Husky - Playing the Sicily 43 Campaign Game
Gents: Smoke7

Any ideas from PzC vets on how to make the 351 turn Operation Husky campaign game more "manageable" and "doable" by players? Idea2

I know from past experience with large scenarios that opponents, no matter how well intentioned they are at the start... have a tendency to "disappear" for various reasons.

For me, I simply don't have the time cycles to commit to a 351 turn scenario! Yikes

I do have a few "top of mind" ideas to simulate / play the campaign game:

(1.) Play the scenarios in chronological order.

(2.) Reduce the number of turns (maybe to 175 or 90?) in the campaign game and adjust the victory conditions. Not sure how to make realistic or "fair" victory conditions?

Thoughts? Ideas? Idea2
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
07-28-2015, 05:58 AM,
RE: Operation Husky - Playing the Sicily 43 Campaign Game
I managed to get to turn 240 ish of a team game campaign, we quit because our Axis opponent made a few critical mistakes and the result was a foregone conclusion.

To make the campaign more manageable we split the forces between Commonwealth, US and Axis players, but of course you are correct that real life does have a habit of stopping campaigns no matter how many good intentions players start with and of course introducing more players to reduce the unit count per person only makes it more likely that someone will drop out.

So there is not much you can do about it, only the most hardened gamer will play even 2/3 of a 300+ campaign when at that point the result may well be obvious, I believe there is a "Dry Feet" campaign scenario that is 172 turns which might be more manageable?
07-28-2015, 10:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-28-2015, 10:56 PM by Kool Kat.)
(07-28-2015, 05:58 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: So there is not much you can do about it, only the most hardened gamer will play even 2/3 of a 300+ campaign when at that point the result may well be obvious, I believe there is a "Dry Feet" campaign scenario that is 172 turns which might be more manageable?

Hey Darran:

Yes. I reviewed the "Dry Feet" campaign scenario... and it looks to be a good alternative "campaign" versus the full blown 300+ one! Smile

I'm interesting in playing in a larger theater of operations and making tactical / strategic decisions across the entire island of Sicily. I think playing either side would be an interesting and enjoyable experience.

I'll give it a go after I get me feet "wet" with "A Day at the Beach" scenario! Wink Dig
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
07-29-2015, 05:43 AM,
I started the Dry Feet scenario years ago but my opponent gave up on the PzC series.

Enjoy Dime, I hope Brian is not giving away all the Vet secrets!! LOL Jester
07-29-2015, 12:59 PM,
I have played a few of the campaigns hotseat against myself; because they are so big, generally I can't remember what I did when playing as the other side, so it works out OK.
07-29-2015, 06:16 PM,
My experience with Sicily is one of the best with PzC.
With my opponent we played the entire 300+ campaign with strategy options version with Maximum forces on both sides, I was playing as Axis. (before I joined Blitz)

Despite the tough terrain, it was a very good game with suprises from both sides. It ended up almost historically, as by the last turn, I was defending the north-eastern corner of the island.

I don´t remember exactly what values in points was for different outcome, but after very last opponent´s turn and before my last, he was achieving Minor Victory with just 5 points..I think it was something like 16005 points. After my last turn (only thanks to my Stukas destroying several Shermans from T-mode Sherman unit that was spotted) it went down to 15 999...one point before Minor Victory, thus ending the game at DRAW. We were both satisfied as the outcome was fair and considered this campaign very well balanced and set up. To this day I remember some of the battles that took place in this game Helmet Wink

I hope you will find a good opponent for this one as it´s really worth it.
07-29-2015, 10:14 PM,
(07-29-2015, 05:43 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: Enjoy Dime, I hope Brian is not giving away all the Vet secrets!! LOL Jester

Hey Darran: Smoke7

Yes! I'm enjoying "Dime" very much! With 6 turns into the 20 turn scenario... as the Allies I currently hold a "Minor Allied Victory" over Brian! Big Grin

Now... whether I can "hold on" to the VPs and terrain... that's another story! Whistle
Send this user an email
07-29-2015, 10:18 PM,
(07-29-2015, 06:16 PM)Fhil Wrote: My experience with Sicily is one of the best with PzC.
With my opponent we played the entire 300+ campaign with strategy options version with Maximum forces on both sides, I was playing as Axis. (before I joined Blitz)

Despite the tough terrain, it was a very good game with suprises from both sides. It ended up almost historically, as by the last turn, I was defending the north-eastern corner of the island.

I don´t remember exactly what values in points was for different outcome, but after very last opponent´s turn and before my last, he was achieving Minor Victory with just 5 points..I think it was something like 16005 points. After my last turn (only thanks to my Stukas destroying several Shermans from T-mode Sherman unit that was spotted) it went down to 15 999...one point before Minor Victory, thus ending the game at DRAW. We were both satisfied as the outcome was fair and considered this campaign very well balanced and set up. To this day I remember some of the battles that took place in this game Helmet Wink

I hope you will find a good opponent for this one as it´s really worth it.

Hey Fhil: Smoke7

Yes! It's those "memorable moments" that happen as we push around our virtual combat units that makes our war gaming hobby fun and enjoyable!

Thanks for sharing one of your "memorable moments!" Smile
Send this user an email