• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Off board arty and obstacles
07-26-2015, 12:47 AM,
c_Question Mark  Off board arty and obstacles
Can anyone please refresh my memory or tell me where to look in the "user" or "sqb" files to find the discussion regarding support fires (off board support) and the incidence of clearing obstacles such as wire?

I know I have seen this occur, and seem to recall that there is a minimum caliber requirement (150mm?) but can't seem to find the rules.

In my Winter War tourney scenario, I dropped Russian 122mm on wire and it did not clear. Is the round too small? Is there a percentage chance?

Any info would be appreciated, thanks gents!

Steve
Quote this message in a reply
07-27-2015, 09:05 AM,
RE: Off board arty and obstacles
I'm no expert on this, but it seems like if you go into the Database editor, the load has to have a "D" flag check, which stands for Demolition. It looks like for WW the only thing that has that designation are Satchel Charges, dynamite and a grenade bundle (I've used a Satchel charge to clear some wire in one game recently). I can't find anything in the User Manual that discusses this at all.

I also recall off-board arty clearing wire in the past, but I can't recall specifically what caliber or game it was in.

Now, don't take this for gospel, but it's about all I can come up with until Jeff gets back after being kidnapped by his better half for vacation...
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
07-27-2015, 01:25 PM,
Thanks Alan, that helped. But I think the weapon in the database must have a "E" for clearing, not a "D" (or maybe both work?).

Anyway, I looked at the database for Russian Victory and there I see a fair number of the heavier artillery rounds have the "E" flag. And I think it is in RV that I have seen the arty clear obstacles.

And ... TADA .... I have found it! From the sqdata.pdf under section Load Dialog:

The following flags specify loads that represent engineering functions:
• Clearing – The load can be used to clear Obstacles and Mines from the target hex according to other parameters as follows:
o If the Lethality of the load is non-zero, then it can clear both Obstacles and Mines (i.e., bangalore torpedoes).
o If the load has zero Lethality and is marked Ground Only, then it can only be used to clear Mines (i.e., mine detectors).
o If the load has zero Lethality and is not marked Ground Only, then it can only be used to clear Obstacles (i.e., wire cutters).
• Demolition – The load can be used to clear Obstacles, Mines, and Barriers. It also has an increased chance (2X) of immobilizing vehicles when used. When the target hex contains a bridge or rail line, then it has a chance of destroying the bridge or rail line based on the following percentages:
o Light Bridge – 40%
o Medium Bridge – 20%
o Heavy Bridge – 10%
o RR Bridge – 5%
o Rail Line – 40%
07-28-2015, 04:18 AM,
It makes sense. I was trying to see if the E flag was on other loads as well, but in WW I didn't see any, which led me to the D flag. Both seem to do the trick.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
07-28-2015, 02:39 PM,
There is also a percentage chance based on the reliability of the load. So there is a small chance that a clearing or demolition weapon will not work. Most are A rated though, so the chance that they won't work is only 1-3% or so unless they have been dropped. At least that's the way I think it works. I don't have any access to the manual out here in the wilderness.

Jeff
07-28-2015, 10:04 PM,
Just another example of why SB is a great game...after 13 years of playing, I am still learning....I had noticed this is in the past and thought it was a random but rare event or a glitch...in any event having to anticipate the unexpected adds realism IMHO....