• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

How is the AI in France '40 ?
07-13-2015, 11:24 PM,
How is the AI in France '40 ?
Hi !

I know the AI is somewhat scripted in the PzC games.
What would you say how good is it in France '40 ?

Especially when the AI plays the germans, will the battle develop realistic or will the AI mess up against a human defender ?
Quote this message in a reply
07-14-2015, 02:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-14-2015, 02:30 AM by Dog Soldier.)
RE: How is the AI in France '40 ?
The AI never attacks very well at all. In small scenarios the AI can defend reasonably well against a player new to the system. However, it tends to make huge blunders like leaving units in column formations in vulnerable positions, abandoning key defensive positions when it should not, and loads of other mistakes human players do not do. The script is written by the developer with a certain expectations how the scenario will develop during play. It is just a list of orders for the large formations. The code for how individual units move, ffire etc is hard coded in the AI. The AI tends to shoot all the time with any unit which can regardless of the tactical situation. Thus, the AI can be counted on to self-destruct in its own turn when still in a good position against a superior force from the non-phasing human player's defensive fire. If the human player does not conform to the developer's thinking at the time when the script was written, the AI strategy will not work well at all.
That is easy to do since we all have different playing styles.
The AI is just there to help people learn the games mechanics. All PzC are PBEM games, IMHO. As a PBEM game, F40 can be a lot a fun.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
07-14-2015, 03:09 AM,
When I bought Sicily 43 as my first title I used the AI as a learning tool, in my first game ever I surrounded the entire HG Pz Div while it just sat and watched me!! Whistle

PBEM is the only way to truly enjoy these games. Wink
07-14-2015, 04:02 AM,
PBEM is also the best learning tool.
07-14-2015, 06:27 AM,
In my experience not if the new player does not have a good grasp on the mechanics of the game engine, trying to battle a lack of game mechanics AND a clever human opponent would be the undoing of many new players unless the PBEM opponent is willing to talk the newbie through all their mistakes and questions. Wink
07-14-2015, 09:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-14-2015, 10:04 AM by wiggum.)
Thanks for the answers.
I already own a few Tiller games but never actually played them that much...
07-19-2015, 03:09 AM,
Try against a human, it will be better.
France 40 , i can take the french.
08-02-2015, 07:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-03-2015, 12:43 AM by wiggum.)
(07-19-2015, 03:09 AM)lepante Wrote: Try against a human, it will be better.
France 40 , i can take the french.

Thanks, i hope we will play a game or two in the future.