• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

PDT error in Campaign Waterloo
06-15-2015, 01:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-15-2015, 01:03 AM by Hoyt Burrass.)
PDT error in Campaign Waterloo
HI All,

I just bought Campaign Waterloo, and am enjoying it so far. Unfortunately it appears that there is an error in the PDT file. For reference I am looking at the area near Charleroi/Marchiennes. In the game there are two hexside features dealing with watercourses Creek and Streams. Creeks are the darker blue feature that runs closer to the Rivers (full hex Feature) see hex 349,371 (near Marchiennes). Streams are the lighter blue features such as those near 348,361. In my mind streams (lighter, further upstream) would be easier to cross than creeks (darker, further downstream), yet this is not the case according to the PDT file...see below.

Line Infantry Movement Costs
Blocked: 0 Clear: 2 Water: 0 Forest: 5
Orchard: 3 Marsh: 4 Building: 2 Chateau: 2
Village: 4 Rough: 3 Field: 3 Path: 0
Road: 0 Pike: 0 Rail: 0 Stream: 1
Creek: 0 Hedge: 1 Wall: 2 Embank: 2
High: 0 Gate: 1 Fort: 2 Elevation: 1

Am I just reading this wrong or is this actually a thing?...thanks in advance.
Quote this message in a reply
06-15-2015, 01:09 AM,
RE: PDT error in Campaign Waterloo
Along with Leipzig, Waterloo is one of my top favorite JTS games!

Which version of Waterloo did you purchase, the JTS version, the HPS CD version, or the HPS download version?
06-15-2015, 01:45 AM,
(06-15-2015, 01:09 AM)Compass Rose Wrote: Which version of Waterloo did you purchase, the JTS version, the HPS CD version, or the HPS download version?

JTS version, updated from his website.

Does your PDT show the same?
06-15-2015, 01:57 AM,
I am trying to find some help for you.

BTW, did you happen to update the game with update v107?

http://johntillersoftware.com/Updates.html
06-15-2015, 02:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-15-2015, 02:20 AM by Hoyt Burrass.)
Yes, v107 from Tillers site...Probably out of comm until late this pm, so replies unlikely until then.
06-15-2015, 07:35 AM,
That is no error, creeks can't be crossed unless there is a bridge, streams can be crossed without a bridge but of course only with some extra movement points paid.
06-15-2015, 09:49 PM,
Christian is correct - the creeks are only crossable at bridges. A 0 reading for a hexside means that it is not crossable, if you have a look at the line that you also listed, 'blocked' - is also reading 0. This is the same as a full water hex.

It is not a mistake, and is supposed to work that way.
Send this user an email
06-16-2015, 01:45 AM,
Got it...Thanks...I thought I might be getting something bassackwards...knew the Blitz would have the answer.

Thanks again.
06-16-2015, 08:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-18-2015, 08:45 AM by -72-.)
... Hey no worries :) - I was testing one title once where the designer had accidentally miscoded the PDT entry for rail hexes (naturally it was not NB as even though it is in the PDT for it) for mounted cavalry ( -since all cavalry in NB is mounted ... it would not have shown up in NB -or Musket and Pike for example). . .

but what it did mean is that mounted cavalry, and mounted leaders could not move along a railroad... the point being -- it can happen, and all feedback is appreciated. :)

Edit: Since someone else just posted I don't want to punt this to the top of the page. Here's the thing, I don't think that there is any rule that flat out states that as a designer that creeks have to be totally impassable; it is in the PDT ratings afterall ... so this might deserve some experimenting, and I want to thank the OP (and Chad of course - since Chad never fails to get me thinking) for bringing this up. Of course since every other title has them as impassible - it would be fair to say that some technique like this should have to be prominently mentioned in the scenario intro (or title documentation.).
Send this user an email