• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Looking for opponents [matchmaking]
06-13-2015, 04:49 PM,
Looking for opponents [matchmaking]
I just completed the entire Stalingrad 42 game, which was 306 turns. I took me and Yvan more than 2 years to play it. Several times we took month long breaks. After a while I found I enjoyed the larger campaign game. In the beginning, with so many units, it took several hours to finish a turn but once I knew what to expect, I was a half hour to an hour.

What I was looking for was someone willing to play one of the longer games. I have Smolensk and Kharkov 43. I think Smolensk is like 250 turns and Kharkov 450 but Kharkov seems to have several 200 turn games. You can take a turn a week if you want. There is a way to play part of a turn at a time until you are ready to send.

To understand why I am asking,... I see most smaller games are almost pure tactics. You are fighting the enemy and the clock. With the big games, you are barely bound by time so you just concentrate on the enemy. Because you control the whole battlefield, you get to decide where to fight, so, in effect, you generate a whole series of new small tactical battles of "Stalingrad" or "Smolensk" or whatever. So, if you are a grognard and are going to play these games anyway, this is a way to get a whole new take of the particular battle. Hell, if I had saved the whole Stalingrad battle I just played, I could have published like 12 new battles for the Stalingrad game.

Also, Do not worry about writing me a note or letter for each turn. I will comment at the beginning but after that the game will do the talking. Yvan and I quit writing about turn 75. We were just repeating ourselves anyway.
Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2015, 04:08 AM,
RE: Looking for opponents [matchmaking]
(06-13-2015, 04:49 PM)flip0009 Wrote: I just completed the entire Stalingrad 42 game, which was 306 turns. I took me and Yvan more than 2 years to play it. Several times we took month long breaks. After a while I found I enjoyed the larger campaign game. In the beginning, with so many units, it took several hours to finish a turn but once I knew what to expect, I was a half hour to an hour.

What I was looking for was someone willing to play one of the longer games. I have Smolensk and Kharkov 43. I think Smolensk is like 250 turns and Kharkov 450 but Kharkov seems to have several 200 turn games. You can take a turn a week if you want. There is a way to play part of a turn at a time until you are ready to send.

To understand why I am asking,... I see most smaller games are almost pure tactics. You are fighting the enemy and the clock. With the big games, you are barely bound by time so you just concentrate on the enemy. Because you control the whole battlefield, you get to decide where to fight, so, in effect, you generate a whole series of new small tactical battles of "Stalingrad" or "Smolensk" or whatever. So, if you are a grognard and are going to play these games anyway, this is a way to get a whole new take of the particular battle. Hell, if I had saved the whole Stalingrad battle I just played, I could have published like 12 new battles for the Stalingrad game.

Also, Do not worry about writing me a note or letter for each turn. I will comment at the beginning but after that the game will do the talking. Yvan and I quit writing about turn 75. We were just repeating ourselves anyway.
07-03-2015, 04:14 AM,
RE: Looking for opponents [matchmaking]
(07-03-2015, 04:08 AM)carlboy Wrote:
(06-13-2015, 04:49 PM)flip0009 Wrote: I just completed the entire Stalingrad 42 game, which was 306 turns. I took me and Yvan more than 2 years to play it. Several times we took month long breaks. After a while I found I enjoyed the larger campaign game. In the beginning, with so many units, it took several hours to finish a turn but once I knew what to expect, I was a half hour to an hour.

Hi Id like to play Kharkov43 Campaign game with default rule. Id like to start a game soon. If this is ok with you let me know!!

Carl Amling (carlboy) email [email protected]Helmet Smile