• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Black Sea Discussions
05-07-2015, 02:49 AM,
RE: Black Sea Discussions
(05-07-2015, 01:31 AM)PoorOldSpike Wrote: As I understand it, the far right column is the only one that matters because it lists what the costs are with Standard rarity.

I was still not sure what you had there in your screen shots so I loaded up the game. In the purchase screen the first column is the points cost and the second column is the rarity cost. The points cost does not vary due to the rarity setting for the game but soft factors do effect it. There are four levels for rarity: none, loose, standard and strict. Here are the points and rarity costs for a couple of vehicles:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4252]

.jpg   Rarity.jpg (Size: 14.06 KB / Downloads: 88)
Author of: Whose Turn Is It? - http://www.lesliesoftware.com/products/WhoseTurnIsIt / CMFI Sicily Pathfinders(not playable H2H) / CMBS Opportunity Knocks (scenarios, maps and mods here)
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2015, 03:18 AM,
Yes, we needn't get bogged down in numbers, all we need to know is that with rarity set to 'Standard' it reflects the fact that in the real world, hard-to-get items cost more.
For example I've just begun a Tiny QB against Grober with Standard rarity, and could only have afforded 1x T-90(APS), so I decided to buy 4x cheaper T-72's instead..:)

PS- this panel (below) in the top left of the purchase screen also takes some figuring out; I can understand the one on the left, but the Standard rarity one has got me scratching my head. But no problem, like I said all we need to know is that rare stuff costs more without going into the maths, and that's good enough for me..:)
[Image: BS-rarity_zps7sdehwtv.jpg~original]
05-07-2015, 04:14 AM,
(05-07-2015, 03:18 AM)PoorOldSpike Wrote: Yes, we needn't get bogged down in numbers, all we need to know is that with rarity set to 'Standard' it reflects the fact that in the real world, hard-to-get items cost more.

Sure, except if we post information for others to refer to it is a good idea that we all make sure that information is correct. That's all the bogging I intend to do Big Grin

(05-07-2015, 03:18 AM)PoorOldSpike Wrote: PS- this panel (below) in the top left of the purchase screen also takes some figuring out; I can understand the one on the left, but the Standard rarity one has got me scratching my head.

For the benefit of others...

With rarity set on a level other than none you have two budgets: points and rarity. The points are intended to reflect the combat power of the stuff you are buying. Obviously this is not a perfect comparison between vehicles and infantry etc. but that is what it is for. The rarity values are intended to reflect how common or uncommon certain equipment is in the time frame in question (I am not sure how much time effects rarity in CMBS but in the WWII titles something that is really rare in June might be standard kit and everywhere in September). The fact that those two budgets are set to the same numeric value is just an artifact of the way they did things. BFC could have said you get 5 rarity and anything uncommon takes 1 rarity to buy and something rare takes 2 or 3 but they decided give themselves more room for rarity to vary than the numbers 1, 2 or 3. The fact that they choose the same numerals for the budget for both values, is what it is. Personally I would have make sure the numbers did not match so it was clear from the start they were different things.
Author of: Whose Turn Is It? - http://www.lesliesoftware.com/products/WhoseTurnIsIt / CMFI Sicily Pathfinders(not playable H2H) / CMBS Opportunity Knocks (scenarios, maps and mods here)
05-07-2015, 08:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-07-2015, 09:46 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
(05-07-2015, 04:14 AM)A Canadian Cat Wrote:
(05-07-2015, 03:18 AM)PoorOldSpike Wrote: Yes, we needn't get bogged down in numbers, all we need to know is that with rarity set to 'Standard' it reflects the fact that in the real world, hard-to-get items cost more.

Sure, except if we post information for others to refer to it is a good idea that we all make sure that information is correct. That's all the bogging I intend to do Big Grin

If you think any of my posts are wrong mate, let me know and i'll be happy to edit in some corrections or delete them..:)
05-08-2015, 01:18 AM,
Indeed I will. And Vice versa Big Grin
05-08-2015, 02:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-08-2015, 02:43 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
Good mate, incidentally do you play CMBS, I can't seem to find you on the ladder? We'll have to have a game sometime..:)
05-08-2015, 04:10 AM,
I do and I have five games on the go right now - four of which are ladder games. So I'll get up there soon. I don't play fast so I will not be racking up the played games count.

As for game sometime: I would like that. I have too many things on the go right now and want to let my game count actually drop some so later this summer perhaps.
05-12-2015, 02:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-12-2015, 02:23 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
OPLOT fired a missile!
The Oplot and T-90 can both fire ATGM's down their main gun barrels but this is the first time I've seen one actually do it. It caught me by surprise, I was just running some general tests and this Oplot and T-90 were on 'Fast' speed on roughly parallel courses when the Oplot let fly with this Kombat ATGM (circled)..
[Image: BS-Kom1_zpskfmkhzig.jpg~original]

[Image: BS-Kom2_zpszhehbqmu.jpg~original]

..and it hit the T-90 turret front, immobilising the tank. The T-90's gun was pointing at the Oplot. And although the T-90 was carrying AT-11 ATGM's, it chose to fire back with APFSDS a few seconds later and knocked out the Oplot.
[Image: BS-Kom3_zpsoof2wpsl.jpg~original]

Summary: I presume the Oplot crew fired the Kombat because it was a side shot and they decided a Kombat could easily penetrate, rather than waste an APFSDS round, but unluckily for them it hit the thick turret front instead of the side armour.
Or maybe because both tanks were on Fast speed, the Oplot crew thought they had more chance of a hit with a locked-on missile than with APFSDS, we don't really know what computations go in in their little pixellated brains.
PS- I suspect many of us players don't always notice when a tank fires an ATGM in the heat of combat because it sounds like an ordinary gunshot, (so do all other missiles in the game) and I can't find a sound mod to make them go whoosh..:)
05-12-2015, 03:01 AM,
Range might have had something do with how their little pixellated brains make the call too. What kind of range was this at?
05-12-2015, 10:17 AM,
Range was about 550 metres, I've run it a few more times and the Oplot fired its missile again in preference to it's APFSDS, but the T-90 preferred firing its APFSDS rather than its missile.