• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Bad Update?
04-06-2015, 12:31 AM,
Bad Update?
I originally purchased France 1914 from HPS. I just downloaded the 1.05 update for France 14 from the HPS site and installed it. When I tried to open a scenario I get an error that the scenario file can't be read. Under the Help menu it says the update in from John Tiller Software. I know that there are two versions of the game, HPS and JTS. How do I get the correct update?
Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2015, 01:11 AM,
RE: Bad Update?
I would suggest you simply contact HPS support. I can't think of any specific solution to what seems to be a confusion between versions, but they should be able to help, I think. Alternatively, I suppose you could uninstall completely and then reinstall from scratch, including downloading and applying the update from HPS again.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
04-06-2015, 03:33 AM,
I'd go with the clean reinstall first. Just for grins, I removed and reinstalled it on an old XP machine my Luddite wife still uses, and it worked fine. I'm currently playing the HPS version 1.05 on a laptop and desktop running Win 7 and its working fine. I installed into a custom directory c:\France '14 for my own convenience, but that shouldn't make any difference. This is what Help\About dialog looks like:
[Image: f14.jpg]
04-07-2015, 12:21 AM,
(04-06-2015, 03:33 AM)Sgt Jasper Wrote: I'd go with the clean reinstall first. Just for grins, I removed and reinstalled it on an old XP machine my Luddite wife still uses, and it worked fine. I'm currently playing the HPS version 1.05 on a laptop and desktop running Win 7 and its working fine. I installed into a custom directory c:\France '14 for my own convenience, but that shouldn't make any difference. This is what Help\About dialog looks like:
[Image: f14.jpg]

That is what my About screen looks like too.

I never had any issues playing it but I had only updated to 1.01. I'll see if I can find the disk and re-install.
04-07-2015, 04:03 AM,
You could also try applying the correct update again and see if that works. Of course a full uninstall with proper update applied afterwards should always work, however.
Send this user an email
04-07-2015, 05:52 AM,
Thanks. I'll try that.
I'm not sure if I installed any mods in the game either. I think someone made me one with better MG graphics so my old eyes could see them better. Could that have something to do with it?
04-07-2015, 05:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-07-2015, 06:00 AM by Volcano Man.)
(04-07-2015, 05:52 AM)Nitram Draw Wrote: ...Could that have something to do with it?

No, I don't think so. As long as the mod only contained artwork related changes then it wouldn't be a problem. If it included PDT, SCE files or anything like that, then yes - but I doubt that is the case.
Send this user an email
04-08-2015, 02:20 AM,
All is good. Thanks all.