• Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Virtual Supply Trucks & Explicit Supply
04-06-2015, 03:23 PM,
c_Question Mark  Virtual Supply Trucks & Explicit Supply
Hi
According to the manual:
"Explicit Supply overrides the Virtual Supply Truck rule"
Here I wonder why not both work together, both seem to have benefits but also drawbacks, if both would work together it's seems that the drawbacks could be eliminated.
Cheers
Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2015, 12:21 PM,
RE: Virtual Supply Trucks & Explicit Supply
Are you suggesting they be combined, as a new supply rule, using pieces of each? That would be possible and could add something useful, hard telling if it would happen though. I guess the details of what you are thinking of would be interesting to hear further.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
04-08-2015, 03:15 AM,
I think the supply rules have been discussed at length in the past, it was suggested that the three present rules do not model very well for the desert titles, but the feedback via Glenn (I think) was that we had three versions of the supply rules and could not expect to see any changes in the future.
04-08-2015, 03:52 PM,
Ok a first draft:
The "Virtual Supply Trucks" option sets the supply sources at a specific level and the distance to a unit will influence the local supply level, simplified the further away the lower the local supply level will be. Now the lower the local supply level is the more likely a unit can end up Low on ammo/fuel. Overall it seems to simulate the way supply is carried forward to the troops closely but what it's lacking is any kind of "schwerpunkt" for the supply to keep certain areas or formation stronger supplied, once a unit has problems the resupply with this option depends on a "range test" except on artillery that again uses the local supply value.

Now using the "Explicit Supply" option will make use of the general local supply level that is at 80% all over the map, but it adds supply units that can be placed near the troops to resupply them in case the run low on supply, now this doesn't really take into account the supply situation that a side face in a scenario but you can bring the supply unit close to those troops that face supply problems and if they "use" the supply unit the troops will get out of their ammo or fuel problems.

Obviously both options have benefits but also drawbacks.
Now if one would take the model of VST rule(that seems to focus on the distribution of supply and the modeling of supply situation by supply source having different levels of supply) and add to it the supply units from the ES rule(that allows schwerpunkt by giving distribution in part into the players hands) to enable the player to set a schwerpunkt and onto all of this maybe even add mobile supply sources(I think of railheads) where supply units can be formed. That would in my eyes combine a lot good stuff.
Of course with a more complicated system even more adjusting, playtesting and balancing has to be done but it could be worth it especially if utilizing existing rules.