• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Panzer Campaigns - Road Stacking
03-23-2015, 01:37 AM,
RE: Panzer Campaigns - Road Stacking
(03-22-2015, 01:27 PM)ComradeP Wrote: The road movement limit is shown in the parameter data dialog. The example shown, 350 road limit and 1500 hex limit, is for Moscow '42. Each game has its own road movement limit and maximum stacking limit.

If all the games are the same scale, why are the limits different?
Quote this message in a reply
03-23-2015, 03:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-23-2015, 04:45 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
Only the individual designers can give you a definitive answer to that question, but the type of roads in the area each campaign represents might have a bearing on the figure?
03-23-2015, 03:55 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-23-2015, 03:57 AM by ComradeP.)
They're nearly identical. There might also be practical or balance-related reasons to allow for slight variations.

In earlier PzC games, infantry battalions were smaller I believe. Often ~450 men. In Moscow '42, they're 600 men for the Soviets and 800/900 men for the Germans (the heavy weapons company is no longer a separate unit). This means you can't launch a two full strength battalion assault with the Germans.

With larger battalions, a somewhat higher maximum stacking limit might be needed to be able to use them to good effect.

The early war Soviets also need a higher stacking limit to launch good attacks than the Allies, because they rely on assaults and their individual unit quality is poor to mediocre.

For FWWC titles, it is written in the designer's notes that the road movement limit and maximum hex stacking limits were adjusted to model the period accurately, with still more or less Napoleonic concentrations of men.

The Panzer Battles scale is also different than the PzC scale by the way, even significantly so: ported to PzC, stacking limits would be 300 road movement limit and just 1000 maximum hex stacking limit. 75/250 works well in PB, though, so it's fine.
03-23-2015, 06:58 AM,

Any idea why road stacking rules do not apply to units assaulting over River using a Road Bridge? I've always 'assumed' they did because the Road Stacking Rule would make this a logical extension of the rule. If you can only cross this hexside using road movement and the limit is 350 then surely 350 is the maximum assaulting level?

Ian
03-23-2015, 08:15 AM,
I guess you have to differentiate between how it looks at what the intention behind it is.
It looks like a unit crossing a bridge in road column to assault.
But the intention behind it(at least I guess so) is to have the effect of lowering the assault value(25% in Travel mod) and making a success harder to achieve.
03-23-2015, 04:20 PM,
Assault values in T-mode are 1/4 of their normal value, so even with a stack at the maximum stacking limit, it's still more or less an attack made by 350 men worth of assault value.

Decreasing that further would make assaulting across a bridge nigh impossible. As there are already a variety of ways to make contested bridge or river crossings costly and very difficult, I'd say assaulting across a bridge works fairly well without stacking to the road stacking limit.
03-23-2015, 10:43 PM,
Thanks for the explaination.

I see the rationale now. Guess I should have read the rules and not made assumptions.

I thought Clervaux was assault proof. 2nd Panzer infantry had no problems assaulting my full stregth Battalion out of there.

Should have blown the bridge but couldn't find an Engineer in time.....

Ian