• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Rout Limiting
02-28-2015, 10:47 AM,
RE: Rout Limiting
To be honest I don't know why I put that sentence in, there is a slight memory in the back of my head that I once asked under what rules the game(either Leipzig or Overland) was tested and got an answer were that Rout Limiting was set to off.

Anyhow I removed that sentence and to clarify:
There is no default rules button like on the PC series so that you could fall back to what can likely be considered the testing rules for the game.
This is neither for the Napi nor the CW series possible so there is not the slightest clue under what conditions testing was done, you can only ask someone in charge or check the notes or other pdfs from the game to see if something is mentioned there or if the designer gave an advise on what rules should or shouldn't be used to play the game.

And for clarification I wasn't on any HPS/JTS testing team, sorry if it looked like I would falsely take credit from the testing teams work, that was surely not my intention.
Quote this message in a reply
02-28-2015, 11:34 AM,
My point, too for anyone reading this, was that Christian goes out and does these type of tests on his own -which not everyone will bother with.

It isn't really about taking credit so much as meaning to give credit where it is due. I know what Duke writes always gives you something to think about.

The other point is about not everyone that has done testing gets into the credits; I don't know if there is a hard and fast rule about that, but sometimes it is whoever was still in the team when a title was published.

Credits are one of those things too - I had done a ton of work for a boardgame publisher (once ... and after that experience I am well and truly over it) -and got nothing in the credits for it. A few 'thanks for all of the help' posts on a messageboard that is rarely visited by anyone other than fans of that specific wargame and those all got quickly buried. So unfortunately it happens (probably more often now than ever before -since there are all sorts out there with different ideas of probity.) .
Send this user an email
03-01-2015, 12:07 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-01-2015, 12:09 PM by Jgolch.)
Thanks for clarifying BigDuke66. I have done quite a bit of research on the different wargame websites regarding the Rout Limiting optional rule. To be honest I am no closer to a definitive answer than when I started. Gamers are very passionate about this rule. Ironically they both make the same arguments; historical accuracy. Those that favor using the rule claim that without it there are too many mass routs. Also, they say it makes it harder to play the Union in ACW or the Allies in Napoleonic titles. On the other hand, those that dislike it claim that using it makes battle lines too hard to break. Armies fight harder than they would historically. Players use sloppy tactics and casualties are way too high. I guess I'll just have to figure this one out myself. Currently I'm going to play with Rout Limiting OFF and Flank Morale Modifier ON like you suggest in both ACW and Nap. I can always change later. These are just games.
03-01-2015, 12:34 PM,
What the guys forget the say it would be historical accurate to turn Rout Limiting ON is simply that various formations were used on the different organization levels(brigade, division, corps) and that alone will prevent a mass rout if the player also tries to do something similar with his units.
Just look here, There are some graphics on this page that show different formations:
http://napoleonistyka.atspace.com/infant...tics_4.htm

Take this as example
[Image: intervals.gif]
The division has a first line with infantry battalions in line formation and artillery but further behind in a second line infantry battalions in column formation.
The player could setup something similar and won't necessarily end up with a mass rout but even if so there is the second line of battalions in column formation that can either fill the gaps or counterattack.

So if you go with my suggested Optional Rules you should keep these various formations in mind, especially in the Napi games.