• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Falkland
02-13-2015, 07:00 PM,
Falkland
Hello,

i play Falkland for a while and let me say compared to other SB Games this is extremely
hard to win . I playd all games on the british site but could"nt win almost no game.
Is there a spezial tactic for this one ?
Quote this message in a reply
02-14-2015, 07:24 AM,
RE: Falkland
One thing I have noticed is that the objective hexes are not worth very much comparatively, in some scenarios. If you lose more 11 more men than the opponent to gain a 10 point victory hex - that is a net loss of points. And remember that leaders are worth 2 points. Focus more on causing Argentine casualties than on gaining relatively minor point value objectives.
02-14-2015, 08:06 AM,
Micha

If you haven't read the Getting Started document, that's a good place to start as it has some help on basic tactics. One of the key advantages that the British have is their WP grenades. Knowing when and how to use these will go a long ways towards being more successful. Steve's advice is sound also. And I would recommend that you play against other humans rather than against the AI if you want to get better. It's much easier (although perhaps more painful) to watch what a more experienced player does and try and repeat it than it is to learn on your own. If you would like a training game, drop me an email and I'll help you through the game.

Jeff
02-14-2015, 06:59 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-14-2015, 07:00 PM by Micha.)
Hello Stejones and Jeff,
thank you both for advice.
Jeff, first at all let me say Falkland is a great SB Title, you have golden Hands.
Thank you for making the scenarios. Thank you for the offer for muliplayergame.
Belive i had a lot of such games for Squadbattles and many other games.
But finally i must confess ist not my kind of buissness for different reasons.
But tips are allways wellcome.
I was not aware that WP grenades means White phosphor grenades, sorry .
I thougth ist a kind of foggrenade.
Unbelivable, did the brits really use such a cruel weapon, verry sad.
Could you give me an advice when and how to use it ?
Another question, should leaders also attack or stay behind the troops ?
02-16-2015, 04:37 AM,
Yes the British did use white phosphorous grenades especially when close assaulting bunkers and other entrenchments. They have three purposes in Falklands. You can use them as smoke grenades to hide your movement from defensive fire, you can use them to prep a defensive position before assaulting (because they are single use weapons they do not cost movement points to "fire" although you the unit using them must have enough movement points to fire/assault) and because they are also an illumination round they allow units not adjacent to fire on the defenders during night scenarios (albeit at half firepower due to the smoke). I used them in the game partially because it was historical, but also because it helps simulate the urban tactics that the British troops used to take Argentine bunkers and fortifications.

As for leaders, their use is critical in Squad Battles. Falklands was designed to be played with the alternate fire density optional rule. If you use this rule, then leaders should be stacked with another unit and not left alone in a hex. If you don't use this rule, then leaders are safer from fire if they are alone, but not from assault. Keeping leaders alive is a key, so if you can, you would like to leave your leaders out of the line of fire and retreat pinned/demoralized units to them to recover. However, this can be hard to do, especially in Falklands where there is no cover other than night. And while assaulting with a leader and a squad is risky, you may need the leaders morale bonus to carry a position. Fortunately, the British usually have two leaders per platoon, so you can have one up leading the charge and the other lagging behind a bit, rallying the less brave. The Argentinians have no such luxury except for their special forces. Trying to attack with the Argentinians can be very frustrating.

Hope this helps some, feel free to ask more questions if you have them.
02-16-2015, 06:37 AM,
(02-16-2015, 04:37 AM)Jeff Conner Wrote: Yes the British did use white phosphorous grenades especially when close assaulting bunkers and other entrenchments. They have three purposes in Falklands. You can use them as smoke grenades to hide your movement from defensive fire, you can use them to prep a defensive position before assaulting (because they are single use weapons they do not cost movement points to "fire" although you the unit using them must have enough movement points to fire/assault) and because they are also an illumination round they allow units not adjacent to fire on the defenders during night scenarios (albeit at half firepower due to the smoke). I used them in the game partially because it was historical, but also because it helps simulate the urban tactics that the British troops used to take Argentine bunkers and fortifications.

As for leaders, their use is critical in Squad Battles. Falklands was designed to be played with the alternate fire density optional rule. If you use this rule, then leaders should be stacked with another unit and not left alone in a hex. If you don't use this rule, then leaders are safer from fire if they are alone, but not from assault. Keeping leaders alive is a key, so if you can, you would like to leave your leaders out of the line of fire and retreat pinned/demoralized units to them to recover. However, this can be hard to do, especially in Falklands where there is no cover other than night. And while assaulting with a leader and a squad is risky, you may need the leaders morale bonus to carry a position. Fortunately, the British usually have two leaders per platoon, so you can have one up leading the charge and the other lagging behind a bit, rallying the less brave. The Argentinians have no such luxury except for their special forces. Trying to attack with the Argentinians can be very frustrating.

Hope this helps some, feel free to ask more questions if you have them.

Thank you for this good tips, i think it will help.