• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

CMBS pbem combat shots
05-16-2015, 02:04 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-16-2015, 02:07 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
RE: CMBS pbem combat shots
My trio of Ukrainian armour probes down the left flank looking for trouble and they find it, as Raz Atoth's Russians butcher them with a fusillade of armour-piercing shots that come flying out of the copse in the background..
[Image: BS-raz-aaq_zpstw35cxkr.jpg~original]
Quote this message in a reply
05-18-2015, 03:36 AM,
[Image: yIrP4Jh.jpg]

Some people just won't surrender heh POS?
05-18-2015, 04:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-18-2015, 04:31 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
(05-18-2015, 03:36 AM)Grober Wrote: Some people just won't surrender heh POS?

Problem is mate, I think running up the white flag hands our oppo a Tot vic on a plate and we lose all the points we've already scored, so I usually fight on to the last man and the last tin of bully beef because it gives me time to get an excuse ready for losing, and here it is-
I bought 4x 50-year-old vintage Ukrainian T-64BV's because they were dirt cheap, but sadly they weren't up to the job and here all 4 lie burning, having failed miserably to penetrate into the town centre against your solid red wall of Russkis-
[Image: BS-grob-rtw_zpsqgotlb2t.jpg~original]
05-18-2015, 04:39 AM,
Well blaming it on T64... I'm also using T64 BV many times and i bet im not only one :P
05-18-2015, 06:00 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-18-2015, 07:35 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
My T-64's must have been made of cardboard, easily knocked out with lightweight shoulder-launched ATGM's.
Let's swap sides and you can be the Ukrainians with T-64's..:)
PS- I just remembered another excuse for losing:- you created the town map yourself and therefore knew every road, street, alleyway and massage parlour in there, whereas I was a stranger in town.
Incidentally I spent 767 points on an off-map SPA arty platoon (3x 152mm guns), it took 9 mins to arrive and was a waste of money because only 3-4 shells arrived each turn and the rate of fire was so slow that they still had about 50 shells left at the end of the 30-minute game!
I couldn't buy cheaper on-map 120mm mortars because most of the map was inside their minimum range (460 metres) so they couldn't have fired, otherwise I'd have bought enough of them to demolish the town in one quick fire storm..:)
05-19-2015, 12:20 PM,
Shouldn't the 120mm mortars be available as off map assets too? In the WWII titles the organic 81mm mortars certainly are - I just assumed. Which is not a good idea...

Regarding surrendering. You do not give up points for causing casualties. Your entire force counts as having been destroyed or captured (which usually is good for your opponent) and you give them control of all occupy objectives. However you do keep your points for destroying your opponent's forces.

Clearly that is giving up plenty so I would only advocate surrendering if you really think you will loose every last man. One way to be sure is to fight to that last man :)
Author of: Whose Turn Is It? - http://www.lesliesoftware.com/products/WhoseTurnIsIt / CMFI Sicily Pathfinders(not playable H2H) / CMBS Opportunity Knocks (scenarios, maps and mods here)
05-20-2015, 12:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-20-2015, 12:09 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
Yes I'll have to run tests to find out more about any effect of surrendering or ceasefiring on points.
I'll also have to do arty tests to find out specific arrival delays for on and off-map stuff.
And higher difficulty levels affect arrival times.
Costs too need to be logged, and rate of fire etc.
I'll also dabble with Target Reference Points; incidentally with Standard rarity, the Ukrainian TRP's cost about 4 times as much, but Russian TRP's stay cheap. Maybe a lack of trained Ukrainian spotter infrastructure makes them so expensive.
Noob note, TRP's are bought in bundles of 5 and have a 50-metre range, ie any arty called onto a spot within 50m of one doesn't need a spotter's LOS to the spot.
05-20-2015, 03:45 AM,
Well when i buy artylery i always go with TRP ! ALWAYS

On on our previous match i did use T64 they are perfectly fine for their price
05-20-2015, 06:21 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-20-2015, 06:21 AM by Grober.)
[Image: n9smjvb.jpg]
07-28-2015, 10:49 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-28-2015, 10:49 AM by PoorOldSpike.)
Quick battle: As my T-90AM(APS) (background) comes trundling slowly through the trees down the dotted arrow to cut the road, Zeke's Oplot (?) (foreground) is perfectly positioned and blows it apart, confirming yet again how important it is to face directly at the enemy so that you see him before he sees you..
[Image: BS-zeke_zpsr385ff4h.jpg~original]

The T-90 was distracted and looking elsewhere-
[Image: BS-zeke2_zps7fcphhbn.jpg~original]