• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Evolution of the X Mod‏
01-18-2015, 02:10 AM,
Evolution of the X Mod‏
Greetings Everyone,

Haven't mentioned anything in awhile, so I thought I'd give you a quick update.

Many changes to the original mod happened along the way in the last year. Some things worked and some didn’t. The original goal however remained. To explore if it was possible to perhaps make a great combat game, even a little bit better.

The mod now supports full weapon depletion as the stock version. This was done to keep the game playing as it was originally designed. We felt that with full X settings were causing play to almost feel like a Hollywood action movie. The drawback to weapon depletion was that many games have zero chance for your men to recover efficiency and to “reload” or gain their weapon efficiency back. That has changed and you’ll have a much better chance for this to happen.
Another noticeable difference is your tanks, in most cases, will automatically choose the best round for your target. Meaning you'll be firing the most effective round for tank vs. tank combat and against infantry targets also. You'll get much better results with tank vs. infantry and you won't have to “mash” the infantry into the ground to get results.

Weapon and load data are stock Tiller figures. Nothing has been increased or inflated.
There are some minor tweaks and adjustments that are not likely noticeable when you play.

In most cases you have to manage three data files and a few parameters files. You can make backups of your stock files, so you can easily switch back to pure stock play. As always, the Jones Mod Swapper works well for this.
A cover screen is included to remind you which version you have loaded.
This works for all games and all scenarios.

As always, anyone that wants to use it or try it, I’ll offer unlimited pbem games with a minimum of 5 turns a week and probably more depending on your time zone.

Since we are not using X settings any more (except for the stock values in FWW, which you are currently using) and for a lack of a better name, we are calling this simply the JT Mod.

Good luck to everyone in 2015, no matter which version you are playing.

Keif149
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
01-18-2015, 07:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-18-2015, 07:19 AM by burroughs.)
RE: Evolution of the X Mod‏
How about Korea and that Ranger series? I don't seem to have it for a reason unknown. UN command for me as a rule of thumb please. I send the turns back on a daily basis for SB, use all of the options on apart from alternative fire & assault resolution. I'd also be interested in playing the GWOT coalition in the Long War mod or the Warsaw Pact - could be NATO too - in Red Star over Europe? Do they count in the offer?
01-18-2015, 08:17 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-18-2015, 08:58 AM by keif149.)
Hi Burroughs,

The offer is good for anyone using the JT Mod.

It will work on all games, including such as AIW, AAW, RSOE, LW etc.

Yes all options on, except op fire and op assault and variable ending.

Density and quality loss are a must.

Just to be clear, my offer is for only games using this mod. I no longer play pure stock games.

If you want to try it, pick a game and we'll play. Then if you do like it, we can do others.

Thanks,

keif149
Send this user an email
01-18-2015, 08:53 AM,
I should point out also, the Mod is for anyone. Not just for playing against me. I'm offering it so you can play it against your buddies or the AI too, for you solo players.

I'm just saying if you can't find anyone using it or wanting to try it, I'll always give you a game with it.

My buddies and I have a lot of fun with it Big Grin
Send this user an email
01-19-2015, 11:57 PM,
Quote:Another noticeable difference is your tanks, in most cases, will automatically choose the best round for your target. Meaning you'll be firing the most effective round for tank vs. tank combat and against infantry targets also.

I am very curious as to how you were able to do this. It's always been a bit of a frustrating thing with SB, having to toggle back and forth between loads.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
01-20-2015, 01:35 AM,
(01-19-2015, 11:57 PM)TheBigRedOne Wrote:
Quote:Another noticeable difference is your tanks, in most cases, will automatically choose the best round for your target. Meaning you'll be firing the most effective round for tank vs. tank combat and against infantry targets also.

I am very curious as to how you were able to do this. It's always been a bit of a frustrating thing with SB, having to toggle back and forth between loads.

Hi A,

Primarily by using the "C" flag. It will increase your effect against armor, but also allows a higher pen value to applied to the infantry.
Also, infantry in pill boxes, caves, bunkers and I believe industrial hexes, since they are treated as a "hard" armored target.
Also, in some of the modern games, there were several load options for AP, for example. These loads did not have any restriction as far as to simulate a certain amount of that ammo carried. So in those cases I eliminated or combined them for their best effect. Most of my players agreed that while it was nice to have multiple AP rounds, they would would always choose the best one any way.

In reality, HE was a legitimate tank vs. tank load. Many Russians preferred it. However the way the SB game works, HE was supposed to be used on infantry. The manual gives much detail on what the different flag options do, and I ran a lot of tests and played a lot of games to see what their effects are.

Of course, if the weapon supports canister or smoke or whatever, those load options are still there.

It's not an infantry slaughter. But you don't have to close assault them all the time to be effective.
As we all know too, tanks do not replenish their ammo or efficiency like infantry, so you can't go crazy shooting everything in sight either.

Also it's not a one shot one kill tank duel either. Everything just seems to work, especially using the stock load data.

Anytime you want to play a game of it, just let me know. Ed's always up for battle too :-)
Send this user an email
01-23-2015, 12:32 AM,
SO now X has been dropped what does the mod do?

Also can you send me all updated mods:)
Send this user an email
01-23-2015, 09:28 AM,
(01-23-2015, 12:32 AM)Wodin Wrote: SO now X has been dropped what does the mod do?

Also can you send me all updated mods:)

HI Jason,

You should have got the newsletter. I'll send you an email tonight. Let me know here if you don't get it.
See post #1, but basically the main highlights:

1. Using weapon depletion restores the games original tactical sense.
Saying that, there is a better chance for your squad to rest and reload. (recover efficiency for them and their weapons. some games had zero chance)
2. Better results in tank vs, infantry battles. Tank vs. tank is snappier too, but not necessarily one shot one kill.
3. Tanks and guns "automatically" select the best load for what they are shooting at. If you try and select a load and have no options, then you know your best load is already loaded.
Send this user an email