• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

A nasty problem with SB games
12-20-2014, 03:23 PM,
A nasty problem with SB games
I have just encountered an issue which on most occasions prevents me from playing most of the SB titles I happen to have - at least all those I have tried to play. I guess it's got something to do with the wireless connection I tried to set up yesterday, but I am not sure, I haven't seen anything like that before.

Have a look at the attached files please.

That's what happens when I try to open either a game file saved in a single player or PBEM mode. It also occurs when I try to set up a PBEM game, the PBEM side selection dialog fails to appear and instead a warning message shows and then both sides are loaded, I get a blank map or a black screen. What the ...?

Please advise if you have experienced anything like this and / or have the slightest idea what am I supposed to do

Attached Files
.jpg   SB PBEM issue.jpg (Size: 227.58 KB / Downloads: 23)
.jpg   SB PBEM issue II.jpg (Size: 231.1 KB / Downloads: 26)
Quote this message in a reply
12-20-2014, 03:50 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-20-2014, 03:58 PM by burroughs.)
RE: A nasty problem with SB games
I am also getting an error on trying to save the game or move on to the next turn. Screen file attached again.

I am running Win 8 X64, NVIDIA GeForce GT720M DirectX 11.0 CPu Intel Pentium 2020M @ 2.40 Ghz 4 Gb RAM, but that also showed on my Win & system on another laptop of mine.
12-23-2014, 10:52 AM,
I think I may have seen a similar error (a single hex displayed) when I have tried to open a scenario that was incompatible with the title or if I hadn't loaded all the necessary files for a particular scenario. However it sounds like your issue is different from that. One thing I found weird is your dialog box that says "Modem Error" at the top. That would seem to suggest you have the Direct-Play mode enabled; although I can't speak much to that since I've never used that feature.

I did a search on "error reading battle file" and the few hits I got seemed to relate to file corruption. My best WAG guess might be that your issue has something to do with Squad Battles being unable to access the files for some reason. It could be due to account permissions, file encryption, file corruption, etc. or perhaps you have some antivirus app that is blocking access. But overall it seems like Squad Battles is unable to access the files (or folders in which the files reside) correctly.

Sorry this isn't more helpful. I am just trying to provide some sort of feedback in case any of it might somehow ring a bell with what you are doing.
12-23-2014, 11:43 AM,
Have you deleted the pbemail.xxx and pbemail.yyy involved? It doesn't make sense that all games are similarly affected for this unless you have a problem with a specific DLL? What happened with the wireless connection? What else is affected?
12-23-2014, 12:40 PM,
Maybe this will help.

http://hist-sdc.com/add-ons/clean_up.html
12-23-2014, 07:00 PM,
Thanks for all the ideas guys, i have been drawing similar conclusions, but there's no joy so far. yes, i tried deleting, but the situation has been reoccuring as when there was no .xxx. and .yyy files in the folder the game obviously couldn't open them and then I dug that completely :). Didn't follow the latest link content - thank you, I'll surely do it - but somehow Africa at War works and those games - like Korea - that I have reinstalled on a HD and wasn't trying to run from their default location at the flash drive - did work again. Moreover, PC / MC that are being run from the same flash drive work without any flaws the way all my games there used to do. So far only a few SB titles there became unplayable. I also tried uninstalling, then reinstalling that wireless connection flash drive and resetting my games settings, but to no avail.
12-23-2014, 07:19 PM,
Worked for Korea, didn't work for ToD, WW and SAW. How do I edit batch file?