• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Units which can turn at least at 2 directions
12-13-2014, 08:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-13-2014, 08:43 PM by Micha.)
Units which can turn at least at 2 directions
I must confess it tooked me years to use to the squadbattlegameplay but now i really love this series.
There is only 1 whish i had for the future.
Would it be possible to Change the code so unit could turn when fiering to at least at 2 diretions , east and west ?
It always feels a bit strange when , for exemple, a tank fires from his backsite.
Quote this message in a reply
12-15-2014, 11:54 PM,
RE: Units which can turn at least at 2 directions
I guess I'm not exactly sure what you are asking for here.

The ability of a tank to fire in all directions is a simulation, I'd assume, of it's ability to rotate it's turret, not turning the entire tank. The directional arrow for vehicles is the direction the front axle is facing, not the turret.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
12-16-2014, 08:33 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-16-2014, 08:33 AM by Micha.)
Sorry for my bad english.
I"m asking if it is possible to make the Units in SB games could change the facing.
Like in Panzergeneral games or like in Panzercorps.
12-16-2014, 11:10 AM,
Vehicles in SB do have a facing and you can rotate them within a hex at a cost of six movement points (can be affected by ground conditions). A vehicle will also turn to face a hex it is entering except for movement to the rear. This is considered backing up and costs double movement points. All of this is important as the armor value is affected by the portion of the vehicle hit by any incoming fire. The armor value for fire originating in the front aspect, which is less than 60 degrees (the front hexside minus the spines), is 150% the listed value. The flank aspect is 100% of the listed value and the rear is 75% of the listed value. Consequently, you want to keep your vehicles pointed towards the greatest threat.

As Alan mentioned, tanks can fire in a 360 degree circle as can most other weapons. However, vehicles with a fixed main gun, such as a Stug III, are limited to firing in a 60 degree arc. If they are not facing a prospective target during your opponent's turn, they won't fire and you have to move or rotate them during your turn to bring a target to bear. There is a flag in the data editor that allows you to set the fixed weapon status for vehicles. Unfortunately, guns don't have a facing so that it can't be used there.
12-17-2014, 02:18 AM,
Thanks for info but what i mean is the unitpictures cant change the direction.
For exemple , a tank should be able to turn his gun from east to west.
12-18-2014, 11:05 AM,
I think I understand what you are asking now. It would require six separate images for each vehicle instead of the one used now (one for each possible hex facing). It would also require coding changes that told the computer to match the correct image to the facing arrow. I am pretty sure it could be done, but given the limited amount of resources available for work on the SB series (or any Tiller series for that matter), don't get your hopes up too high.
12-18-2014, 07:11 PM,
Hello,

no new Images are necessary, the existing ones are enough. But it should be possible the unitpicture can change ist facing from east to west at least.
Would that be possible ?

If yes i would think about making a mod for Vietnam with new Units.
12-18-2014, 11:28 PM,
(12-18-2014, 07:11 PM)Micha Wrote: Hello,

no new Images are necessary, the existing ones are enough. But it should be possible the unitpicture can change ist facing from east to west at least.
Would that be possible ?

No. The engine uses the static pics that are available. It has no means to move them within the program because the coding uses the arrow to indicate facing.. As Jeff said, you'd need pics for each way the vehicle is 'facing' since vehicles can also move North-South.

You'll have to learn to live with the abstraction and the arrow to designate which way vehicles are facing most likely.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
12-19-2014, 05:36 AM,
Hello,
thanks for answer, ist not really a Problem, i love the game like it is.
I understand its a lot of work to change the game .
Keep up the good work.