• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Red Thunder v1.02 file compatibility?
11-22-2014, 01:26 AM,
Red Thunder v1.02 file compatibility?
So what's the scoop with upgrading and file compatibility for PBEM games. Some of my playing partners upgraded and we were able to exchange and play files with 2 different versions running. So I upgraded and now another partner of mine just informed me that he is still at 1.00 but I was able to open the file and play out a turn.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
Quote this message in a reply
11-22-2014, 06:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-22-2014, 06:49 AM by A Canadian Cat.)
RE: Red Thunder v1.02 file compatibility?
The guy with the newest build will be able to open the turns from the older one. Of course that is how you upgrade but unfortunately you have no idea if you are opening a turn from an older build or the current one.

Sadly - there is another problem: with turns from 1.01 and 1.02 people with the unpatched 1.0 will still see those newer turn files but the game will crash if they open them.

Sigh

Bottom line:
1) To successfully play both players *must* be using the same version of the game.
2) You can still run with two versions of the game installed in separate directories but *you* have to keep track of what turn to play with what version.

Oh yeah and I should my PBEM partners and I are 2 for 3 in updated to 1.02. As in we have tired to upgrade three games but one just will not work in the upgraded version. And one of the successful upgrades too two tries to do it (I tried once then my opponent tried a second time with an older turn).

That is the first time in a long time that I have hit that.
11-22-2014, 07:10 AM,
Yup, but the funny thing is I was playing with an unpatched CMRT vs v1.02 and was able to open the file and play out the game, save and send.

Did that happen to anyone else?
11-22-2014, 08:09 AM,
Oooo yikes. That is unexpected.
11-22-2014, 10:41 AM,
Well now that I've upgraded the game crashes at 26% between me and a playing partner. Thing is that we were able to play merrily along for a few files until this happened.

Look over at battlefront CMRT tech thread seems like it is happening to a lot of guys. I tried to replay the file that crashes without any mods so that's not the problem.
11-23-2014, 03:10 AM,
Yes, seems like the 1.02 patch broke quite a lot of pbem files. Out of my 5 cmrt games, 3 worked fine, 2 i had to ditch.
Quite unexpected since 1.02 - if i got it right - had only some bug fixes related to the buildings entry bug.
Send this user an email
11-25-2014, 02:18 AM,
True that 1.02 just had building entry fixes but 1.01 had a whole bunch of fixes for various things.

I too had a problem with a PBEM game upgraded to 1.02 so we are finishing the game on 1.0. However that failed right after upgrading. If you are seeing the issue turns later that sounds kind of scary.
11-25-2014, 04:35 AM,
Strange enough, all those 5 pbem games worked just fine with 1.01! The issues started to pile up only after i upgraded from 1.01 to 1.02.
Send this user an email
11-26-2014, 05:05 AM,
Well experiencing more crashes with another playing partner of mine. We started with v1.00 and upgraded during our match. We exchange a lot of PBEM files with no problems until now.

I won't be starting any Red Thunder games until Battlefront fixes this. :(
11-26-2014, 06:39 AM,
Question for you do you have a turn file that crashes? I would really appreciate if you could send me one. I'll send you a PM with how to get in touch with me.