• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Combat Calculations - what do I miss here?
09-27-2014, 02:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-28-2014, 09:33 AM by BigDuke66.)
Feedback Needed  Combat Calculations - what do I miss here?
In my attempts to get a grip of the engine I tested some things, that was a nice way to find out that an extended line 3-rank infantry fires at 100% effectiveness, of course without any modification it seems to be of no relevance to mention this but for the sake of completeness it would have been very handy to mention that at all.

Now next problem is an extended 2 rank infantry, manual states:
- 2-Rank Infantry units in normal Line or Extended Line formation fire at 50% increased effectiveness.
- 2-Rank Infantry units in Shortened Line Formation fire at 75% effectiveness.

Now I made a little test in the Eagle scenario of Austerlitz but the result that I get out for the Extended line don't fit my calculation and I don't know why.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4150]
Situation is that 748 men in Shortened line formation fire with British Muskets on a French Column
Men 748
Musket Fire Power 6
748*6= 4488 Combat Value
Combat Value 4488
2-Rank Infantry units in Shortened Line Formation fire at 75% effectiveness.
Infantry fire against Infantry in Column or Square formation is increased by 25%.
This means 75%*125%=93,75%
Modifier 0,9375
Combat Value 4488*Modifier 0,9375 = 4207,5 Effective Combat Value
Effective Combat Value 4207,5
Now you see the calculation fits to the result achieved in the game.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4149]
Situation is that 402 men in Extended line formation fire with British Muskets on a French Column
Men 402
Musket Fire Power 6
402*6= 2412 Combat Value
Combat Value 2412
2-Rank Infantry units in normal Line or Extended Line formation fire at 50% increased effectiveness.
Infantry fire against Infantry in Column or Square formation is increased by 25%.
This means 75%*175%=131,25%
Modifier 1,3125
Combat Value 2412*Modifier 1,3125 = 3165,75 Effective Combat Value
Effective Combat Value 3165,75
You see the result calculated is not even close to the result in the game.
In the game we have 2261 as Fire Value and that is only achieved by using the same 0,9375 modifier as if the British formation was a Shortened line.
I assume that the sentence "2-Rank Infantry units in normal Line or Extended Line formation fire at 50% increased effectiveness." could be interpret wrong by me and the vocal point could be 50% increase from what?
What base value is used that is now increased by 50%?
Anyone got a clue how the calculation is done?
Or is this a bug?

Attached Files
.jpg   2-rank Extended British vs. French Column.jpg (Size: 195.64 KB / Downloads: 438)
.jpg   2-rank Shortened British vs. French Column.jpg (Size: 177.01 KB / Downloads: 491)
Quote this message in a reply
09-27-2014, 04:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-27-2014, 04:56 PM by BigDuke66.)
RE: Combat Calculations - what do I miss here?
Another odd calculation I found, this time in a melee test in the Getting Started Scenario of the Austerlitz game.
Melee odds shown before the combat.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=4151]
Situation is that no fire was exchanged so the modifiers eligible should be:
- Non-British infantry attacking in column +25% Attacking Strength
- If no attacking units have fired this turn or previous phase +20% Attacking Strength
- If the unit of lowest Quality on the attacking side has Quality of A or more 20% Bonus
- If there are defending units that have not fired this turn, but are able to fire on the attacking units -20% Attacking Strength

So when you look at the values the Russian column has +25% that is likely for being in column when doing a melee and we have a 40 modifier for I think the Russian side.

First I wonder why only the column modifier seems to have been directly added while the others seem to run under modifier, second the 40 modifier doesn't make sense at all, we have:
+20% Attacking Strength
20% Bonus
-20% Attacking Strength
The +20% and -20% kill themselves and leave the 20% Bonus, how does that bring a modifier of 40 up???

Hopefully someone can make sense of them or tell me what I miss.

Attached Files
.jpg   Melee - Russian Column vs French Line.jpg (Size: 142.66 KB / Downloads: 415)
09-28-2014, 09:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-28-2014, 09:20 AM by BigDuke66.)
RE: Combat Calculations - what do I miss here?
An addition to my second post:

I toyed a bit around and tried some things, to me it looks like the odd calculator shows 20 for not having fired in the turn or previous phase
(From the manual: "If no attacking units have fired this turn or previous phase +20% Attacking Strength").

Now the point is these extra 20% should according to the manual only added if the defender did fire, if he didn't fire 20% is subtracted what makes it +/- Zero but here the modifier is added to the attacker no matter if the defender spend or didn't spend his fire.
(From the manual: "If there are defending units that have not fired this turn, but are able to fire on the attacking units -20% Attacking Strength")

Question is, is it only wrong in the odd calculation or is the actual combat calculation also broken?
In the latter case it would be a serious bug.