• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

First World War Campaigns - More insight into movement
09-24-2014, 08:48 AM,
Help  First World War Campaigns - More insight into movement
Hi
Didn't find anything in the manual so I ask here as I assume it's also interesting for others.

1. What type of movement cost table is used when a none-foot movement unit is deployed?
I ask because assumed a lets say Cavalry unit would always use the cavalry movement cost table, but now I see that it uses the foot movement cost table when it's deployed, same counts for motorized Infantry.

2. How can I determine the movement allowance of a unit in travel mode when it is deployed or vice versa?
Some like foot Infantry have the same movement allowance but others like motorized units have much more movement points in travel mode compared to being deployed.
Without knowing the movement allowance of deployed/travel mod ahead it's impossible to determine whether it would be a good idea to switch to a mode or not.
Quote this message in a reply
09-24-2014, 09:42 AM,
RE: First World War Campaigns - More insight into movement
Re: #1, when a non-foot unit is deployed, its movement type/cost will be that of a foot unit. So, when a cavalry unit deploys, it will expend the MP cost as if it where a foot unit (IIRC).

Re: #2, unfortunately you don't quite know how far a unit can move when deployed until you change their mode and find out. The same is true for Travel Mode versus non-Travel Mode movement, sometimes you think you can reach some place in Travel Mode so you change to it to do so, the find out that you cannot. This does cause realistic mistakes to be made during movement (underestimations) and I think that is good.
Send this user an email
09-24-2014, 09:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-24-2014, 10:00 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
Indeed, I often am surprised how little a cavalry unit that changes from deployed to T mode (ie the unit mounts it's horses) can move with it's remaining movement points, really makes you think about if you should deploy your cavalry or not?

Anyway coming back on topic, I also think it is good that there is an element of doubt about how far you might or might not get in certain circumstances, in combat it is often not possible to be exact about these things.
09-24-2014, 10:25 PM,
(09-24-2014, 09:42 AM)Volcano Man Wrote: Re: #2, unfortunately you don't quite know how far a unit can move when deployed until you change their mode and find out. The same is true for Travel Mode versus non-Travel Mode movement, sometimes you think you can reach some place in Travel Mode so you change to it to do so, the find out that you cannot. This does cause realistic mistakes to be made during movement (underestimations) and I think that is good.

If you are playing the AI you can turn off FOW and switch modes then undo. Just make sure that is all you do otherwise the undo won't work. On big maps for units in the rear you can do it without giving away any enemy positions. For small maps you just need to focus on the unit you want to check if you don't want any free intel.
11-12-2014, 04:19 PM,
(09-24-2014, 09:57 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: Indeed, I often am surprised how little a cavalry unit that changes from deployed to T mode (ie the unit mounts it's horses) can move with it's remaining movement points, really makes you think about if you should deploy your cavalry or not?

What is neat about FWW Campaigns is that you need to dismount your cav to regain fatigue points. Nice too is that some of them, like Dragoons, are good shooters. jonnyLOL