• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

A beginner's guide to mods?
09-21-2014, 06:25 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-21-2014, 06:32 AM by David G.)
A beginner's guide to mods?
Considering the years I have spent playing this game, it must be about time for me to find out what mods are and how to use them.

There is a helpful file called "Read_Me_First.txt" (kind of a clue!) in the User_mods folder, but this leaves some questions unanswered (and also says it is last updated in 2011 but refers to JTCS 2.0. (?))

My questions:

(i) I think "mod" stands for "modification" - correct?
(ii) Do the mods only affect graphics or also rules? Or does it vary depending on the mod?
(iii) Assuming it's just graphics, can one player be modded and the other un-modded and still play?
(iv) Have I missed a help resource about this?

Thanks,

David
Quote this message in a reply
09-22-2014, 04:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-22-2014, 04:53 AM by Crossroads.)
RE: A beginner's guide to mods?
(09-21-2014, 06:25 AM)David G Wrote: Considering the years I have spent playing this game, it must be about time for me to find out what mods are and how to use them.

There is a helpful file called "Read_Me_First.txt" (kind of a clue!) in the User_mods folder, but this leaves some questions unanswered (and also says it is last updated in 2011 but refers to JTCS 2.0. (?))

My questions:

(i) I think "mod" stands for "modification" - correct?
(ii) Do the mods only affect graphics or also rules? Or does it vary depending on the mod?
(iii) Assuming it's just graphics, can one player be modded and the other un-modded and still play?
(iv) Have I missed a help resource about this?

Thanks,

David

Cheers David, let me try answering this one:

(i) Correct: User Modification.
(ii) All mods are about various graphics. Alternative terrain tiles, alternative unit bases, alternative user interface for menu screens, so forth.
(iii) Yes, absolutely. Eye candy only. Forgotten Battles 2.0 is the exception, it adds *new* units. If you play a scenario where it is required, it must be enabled. For everything else, including all stock and custom scenarios it has no effect on game play.
(iv) Probably not? If you use JSGME to handle the mods as you really should, the mouse when hovering over a mod to be selected displays a small pop up window. But that's about it.

Hope this helps Helmet Smile
Visit us at CSLegion.com
10-03-2014, 03:40 AM,
RE: A beginner's guide to mods?
Thanks, Battle Kat. Knowing they are just about graphics rather than creating compatibility issues (with the exception of Forgotten Battles that you noted) makes me much more inclined to give them a go. Cheers, David