• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Common Technical Issue
09-14-2014, 10:47 AM,
Common Technical Issue
Having just gotten into these games in earnest, I've noticed a somewhat annoying issue. I think it's normal, so it can't be fixed, but I wanted to make sure.

In France '14 for instance where you plot indirect fire, or if there is several opportunity fires in a row the game can sort of lock up until it's all processed. In these cases you can hear the firing but sometimes you can't see it actually happening on screen.
Usually it's worst if you shift to another screen whilst the AI moves and try to go back to it when you hear the indirect firing or your troops shooting and find you can't and it locks up until the process is finished.

Is there any way around this? I recognise this might be just how the engine works, but here's hoping! It's not like it's terrible, but it is a bit annoying.

PS: Happens on all machines I've played on.
Quote this message in a reply
09-14-2014, 11:30 AM,
RE: Common Technical Issue
Sorry, not aware of a solution, but I do see it. However, it is fairly rare for me and it typically happens during the replay, so it hasn't bothered me a huge amount.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
09-16-2014, 04:48 AM,
What Ricky B said counts for me too.
09-16-2014, 06:43 AM,
Hmm, yes, I think I have seen that before. Windows 7 I guess?

The problem seems to happen if you have other applications and windows open along with the program. At some point during the replay, the focus gets shifted away from the window and it causes the standard Windows 7 'not responding' white window behavior. I recommend try closing all other applications and windows while playing and see if that helps. Not the ideal solution but it seems to be difficult to address because it is standard windows behavior.
Send this user an email
09-16-2014, 11:13 AM,
I got it prior to Win 7 (never used 7, jumped from Vista to Win 8), and it continues today. In most cases, I am not running other apps when it happens, at least apps in the way that I believe you mean. There usually is nothing else running on my system to shut down without using Task Manager and closing down specific processes versus applications. As the focus always comes back, I think it is something more complicated than a simple jump to another application, unfortunately.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
09-16-2014, 08:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-16-2014, 08:06 PM by Fhil.)
Hi guys,

I will add to that one more: experiencing the same problem, but not with every title! Big Grin
For example, I´m playing Normandy ´44 on my private notebook, it´s ok, every title is ok there, no such stuff hapenning there at all, using good old Windows XP there. But for example, when playing Normandy ´44 at work (Windows 7), this issue happens there. Also playing Kursk and Bulge campaigns, and both on company notebook if I´m at work and have time, but it doesn´t happen there. So, don´t have a clue what is causing it.
09-17-2014, 01:13 AM,
(09-16-2014, 08:05 PM)Fhil Wrote: Hi guys,

I will add to that one more: experiencing the same problem, but not with every title! Big Grin
For example, I´m playing Normandy ´44 on my private notebook, it´s ok, every title is ok there, no such stuff hapenning there at all, using good old Windows XP there. But for example, when playing Normandy ´44 at work (Windows 7), this issue happens there. Also playing Kursk and Bulge campaigns, and both on company notebook if I´m at work and have time, but it doesn´t happen there. So, don´t have a clue what is causing it.

Don't worry, probably nothing more than the snoop program your company uses to record your keystrokes so they can catch those employees playing games on company time. LOLLOLLOL
09-17-2014, 04:02 PM,
(09-17-2014, 01:13 AM)tbridges Wrote:
(09-16-2014, 08:05 PM)Fhil Wrote: Hi guys,

Don't worry, probably nothing more than the snoop program your company uses to record your keystrokes so they can catch those employees playing games on company time. LOLLOLLOL

So they probably don´t like me playing Normandy here, but Kursk and Bulge is fine Big Grin
Just came to work and I´ve got all three turns in my mail, so I will test it today! Big Grin2