• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Proposed solitaire upgrade for CS
08-24-2014, 04:32 AM,
Proposed solitaire upgrade for CS
I just had a thought (oh no) which some grognard may advise has been discussed to death in some earlier age of the world, but I figured why not throw it out here anyway.

Would it be possible, in a future patch, to allow a player (I'm thinking solitaire, player vs. AI, but I suppose it could be applicable to HtH play) to activate the AI for certain designated formations in a scenario? For instance, I am looking at the Showdown at Borisov scenario, as a representative of Really Big Scenarios that have some interest for the solitaire player, but are onerous slogs when you have to fight every platoon or section on a corps front.

I would like, in this example, to be able to identify the front-line German divisions for AI control, and exert direct player control only over formations that enter as reinforcements, and perhaps some that are initially held in reserve or support. If the logic could be written, there should not be any limit on how the option is applied. For instance, I don't like having to plot indirect fire for the cloud of 2-step 81mm mortar units, which are organic to infantry battalions and thus could be left under AI control, while I might be interested in controlling the field artillery, by selecting specific FA battalions or regiments for player control.

The AI, as we all know, will not optimize play for the formations under its control - and would not do a good job of deconflicting road use, staging areas, etc. with a human player. Which may be just about right, when you think about the 'frictions' involved when a major formation (division, brigade) under independent command arrives to shore up a collapsing sector or to counterattack. Passage of lines is too easy - close tactical cooperation among subunits who do not share a common chain of command - is too easy - when the player can realize the fantasy of every two-star platoon commander that ever orbited in a Huey above a battlefield in Vietnam.

Comments?
Quote this message in a reply
08-24-2014, 08:43 PM,
RE: Proposed solitaire upgrade for CS
Gents: Smoke7

Interesting proposal! Smile

Unfortunately, I suspect such a programing challenge would butt up against the limitations of the CS game engine.

I don't know... Dont Know but I'm sure if either Berto or Jason weigh in on this thread, they would be able to answer if your proposal was even possible.
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
08-25-2014, 04:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-25-2014, 04:24 AM by Crossroads.)
A neat idea Helmet Smile

No idea if feasible or not? I am a data guy, not a programmer... Then again, 2.1 won't be out until 2016... Helmet Wink

I notified the team about this Salute
Visit us at CSLegion.com
09-05-2014, 03:30 AM,
On a difficulty scale 1-10, that one's -- what? -- maybe a 9. Helmet Rolleyes

Seriously, after we roll out a new game or two, and after several more ... <cough cough> ... fundamental coding and data issues are resolved, we will have much more time to dig deep into the AI. Who knows what will then be possible?