• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

JTS/HPS Wishlist and Random Thoughts
08-13-2014, 08:10 AM,
RE: JTS/HPS Wishlist and Random Thoughts
Yeah I agree with the above post, and think that I probably had to leave things off before I got to mention too -that when it comes to the bigger projects, like for example what doing a fully formed South Korea/North Korea map - it becomes one about money, in the sense that JTS wouldn't do it unless they saw a salable product in it.

In other words it would not be a free add-on expansion. The fact that there is not a product out there doesn't mean much in the sense that something like that would not reflect that something like a potential Korea '50 was not considered salable -but rather probably more like not done yet; after all -this is a publisher that did a grand-tactical title on the Renaissance which other companies have shied away from. For all I know there might be one in the pipeline somewhere. I am not on the side of the JTS house that deals with that particular era that would include a potential Korea '50 title if it is in development somewhere.

However the point I am trying to make is that the concepts are still pretty much the same in that -if it is a full on mapping project, then it would more than likely ever only be part of a game title and not a mod or add on (Ed's Operation Compass is more of an exception, possibly because I think that the maps were already out there but were not going to be used with Alamein '42).
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
08-13-2014, 12:11 PM,
A Salerno approach might just be the best way to devise a game for the various phases of the Korean 1950s conflict.
A very good idea!

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
08-13-2014, 01:35 PM,
(08-13-2014, 12:11 PM)Dog Soldier Wrote: A Salerno approach might just be the best way to devise a game for the various phases of the Korean 1950s conflict.
A very good idea!

Dog Soldier

I'll second that! Looks as though we have a general consensus of opinion about the need for a Korea 1950's Modern Campaigns, and how it could be approached. Now we can only hope something like that is being worked on, or that someone from JT's team takes notice.

Was thinking about scenario design using the existing system, and there are two people who I think are really good examples of how to do it: Aaron with his "Bolt Out of The Blue", which demonstrated just how much stretch there is in the engine, and how it is possible to include everything but the kitchen sink when it comes to adding detail. While I'm not a fan of extensive use of "KG's" vs Companies in the OOB, I understand why he did it, and really admire the his work. The second is Mark Breed (aka Capt Cav) who with his 1981 "Better Red Than Dead" for NGP '85, came the closest ever to having a classic NATO-WP mobilization style scenario. His house rules, and entire approach just "felt right" - to me anyway. Too bad both of them seem to have moved on, but Aaron does check in from time to time it looks like.

It would have been fun to see what either or both of them could have done with an official JT production that they did the design work for.
08-13-2014, 10:58 PM,
Actually I would rather have the entire map instead of a Salerno approach; I don't particularly mind if there is no master scenario for a campaign; but the fact is that without the big map -you would not be able to get it any other way -you can always edit a submap out of something larger ... you cannot create a larger map out of something smaller, however.

Maybe that is just the scenario designer in me talking,though.
Send this user an email
08-14-2014, 01:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-14-2014, 01:19 AM by 2-81 Armor.)
(08-13-2014, 10:58 PM)trauth116 Wrote: Actually I would rather have the entire map instead of a Salerno approach; I don't particularly mind if there is no master scenario for a campaign; but the fact is that without the big map -you would not be able to get it any other way -you can always edit a submap out of something larger ... you cannot create a larger map out of something smaller, however.

The truth be told, so would I. And for the exact same reason. That's why I was at first advocating expanding the DF'85 map, and the F'14 map being adapted for F'40 and B'44.

Just give us the tools, and some of us would try to make use of the big maps.
08-14-2014, 04:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-14-2014, 04:55 AM by Xaver.)
Talking about Salerno system... why not use this in WWI serie??? to cover middle east is the best option to do 1 title or more, call it "Meggido 18" and add the Sinai combats at least (with variants for me this could provide an interesting title and fast because OOB is smaller and maps are more centered in an area with not a lot of population) and well, WWI based in trenches... maybe for a game at this scale something mobile is better (east front, the Romanian campaigh... Africa is interesting to but not for this scale... maybe here an add-on for SB WWI).

Any info??? at least if we are going to see new features, thanks.

I reserve some money for next WWI title after buy a shoter, plan buy a grand strategy title... i need cover middle area Big Grin2 (and naval warfare + air fight covered to).
08-14-2014, 07:49 AM,
Hey im not dead, maps are easy to edit with the right tools just very time consuming. Ive always wanted all the black on the Danube map filled in, would also have liked it to go from Warsaw to Amsterdam.
Rangers Lead the Way
08-14-2014, 08:00 AM,
(08-14-2014, 01:18 AM)2-81 Armor Wrote:
(08-13-2014, 10:58 PM)trauth116 Wrote: Actually I would rather have the entire map instead of a Salerno approach; I don't particularly mind if there is no master scenario for a campaign; but the fact is that without the big map -you would not be able to get it any other way -you can always edit a submap out of something larger ... you cannot create a larger map out of something smaller, however.

The truth be told, so would I. And for the exact same reason. That's why I was at first advocating expanding the DF'85 map, and the F'14 map being adapted for F'40 and B'44.

Just give us the tools, and some of us would try to make use of the big maps.

...and that's exactly where the conversation hits a brick wall - as that is not going to happen short of the company folding, which is something that JTS has been entirely open and public about their policy over a number of years.

They have decided that this is the business model that works for their company.
Send this user an email
08-14-2014, 08:12 AM,
Remember that MC series is based on 1 mile hexs and the Korean Peninsula is what roughly 450 miles long. The Danube map is 545 hexs long so its not impossible.
Rangers Lead the Way
08-14-2014, 08:48 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-14-2014, 08:49 PM by -72-.)
Not to mention that considering that the Overland Map was about 1000 x 1000 hexes - and a km at 0.6 per mile - technically speaking even at PzC scale it would not be impossible.

Of course the trick here is to know who to pay attention to. I pay attention to Taaz.
Send this user an email