• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Night Rules Bug
06-28-2014, 03:18 AM,
Night Rules Bug
Anybody try a Night Rules scenario? Seems like since 2.01 came out, these scenarios aren't functioning as they're supposed to. I looked at one WF scenario and one RS scenario, both Night rules scenarios, and the problem is the same. Instead of visibility being 1-hex, units can see enemy units as with normal visibility. I just started playing the Screaming Eagles scenario against Boisforas, and noticed that a US unit (that did not fire in the previous turn) three hexes away from the enemy is under fire from them without the benefit of a starshell being fire. Has anybody else experienced this?
Quote this message in a reply
06-28-2014, 07:33 AM,
RE: Night Rules Bug
(06-28-2014, 03:18 AM)Schwerpunkt75 Wrote: Anybody try a Night Rules scenario? Seems like since 2.01 came out, these scenarios aren't functioning as they're supposed to. I looked at one WF scenario and one RS scenario, both Night rules scenarios, and the problem is the same. Instead of visibility being 1-hex, units can see enemy units as with normal visibility. I just started playing the Screaming Eagles scenario against Boisforas, and noticed that a US unit (that did not fire in the previous turn) three hexes away from the enemy is under fire from them without the benefit of a starshell being fire. Has anybody else experienced this?

It's a legitimate bug, present since February's 2.00 release (and, in development, before). Devil

And nobody -- not the Dev Team, no players even, noticed or reported this until now. Confused

We on the Dev Team will huddle to figure out how to resolve this problem. Maybe posting a hot fix, with corrected night .scn files (only), maybe a 2.02 Update with EXE fixes (much earlier than planned).

Sorry for the trouble! Doh
06-28-2014, 07:26 PM,
Gentlemen :

Yes .. I also have noticed the same " Night Bug " behavior ; the 3 hex visibility
as well as some uncertainty as to fire on map indirect fire - mortars and artillery.

Also , when direct firing at a multi-unit hex, sometimes the selected target unit
did NOT get fired upon - another unit would get hit , instead. This may NOT be a bug,
per se - maybe the random chance of night uncertainty. The firing " sparkles " were there
as before , and fire range beyond the " 3 hexes " was increased accordingly.

I haven't played recently, so the sounds of the game are quite different with 2.01.
Is OK -- and I like the " speed " setting option for movement. All for now.
Much more to delve into - seems almost like a new game.

I like it . Thanks to all for the considerable effort to program the changes.
Impressive -- I have enough trouble with getting the toothpaste to stay onto the toothbrush !
Who says I'm dumb ? ! Helmet Rolleyes

Thanks,
5 Leichte Div
06-28-2014, 09:29 PM,
(06-28-2014, 07:33 AM)berto Wrote: It's a legitimate bug, present since February's 2.00 release (and, in development, before). Devil

And nobody -- not the Dev Team, no players even, noticed or reported this until now. Confused

We on the Dev Team will huddle to figure out how to resolve this problem. Maybe posting a hot fix, with corrected night .scn files (only), maybe a 2.02 Update with EXE fixes (much earlier than planned).

Gents: Smoke7

I've been developing a RS night scenario... and noted that units had a 3-hex visibility. Look

Not being familiar with night time rules / conditions, I thought it was operating correctly! Yikes

Thanks for posting... and I look forward to receiving the fix.
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
06-28-2014, 11:49 PM,
(06-28-2014, 09:29 PM)Kool Kat Wrote:
(06-28-2014, 07:33 AM)berto Wrote: It's a legitimate bug, present since February's 2.00 release (and, in development, before). Devil

Gents: Smoke7

I've been developing a RS night scenario... and noted that units had a 3-hex visibility. Look

Not being familiar with night time rules / conditions, I thought it was operating correctly! Yikes

Thanks for posting... and I look forward to receiving the fix.

For new scenarios, visibility will be as you specify it using the new dynamic #-#[v] system. Should be fine. What will not be fine, not until the next bug-fix update, will be gun flash (etc.) visibility. Until the fix, gun flashes (etc.) will confer no extra effect (no extended visibility beyond normal night visibility).

So you can continue to develop your scenario, but gun flashes (etc.) will not be working quite right.

The underlying problem here is that, in the .scn files, the new #-#[v] visibility specifications pre-empt the old, simple, one number spec -- the number indicating gun flash (etc.) visibility. (Pre 2.0*, ordinary non-flash night visibility was always set to 1, no ifs ands or buts about it.)

The fix for this bug involves changes to the EXEs. Changes to any legacy .scn files will not be needed.

Until we release the next bug-fix update, we advise players not to play night scenarios. (If you can't wait, as a kludgey workaround, you could edit the last number in line 4 of the .scn file, ensuring that the figure is 1. But this would not solve the no-extended-visibility gun flash problem. Gun flashes (etc.) would still be broken.)

Sorry for the goof. Sh*t happens! Devil
06-29-2014, 04:53 AM,
Night Visibility Bug(s) fixed. 2.02 test EXEs have been released to the Dev Team...
06-30-2014, 07:07 AM,
Hey Berto: Smoke7

Many thanks for jumping on and squashing this bug! Wink
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
06-30-2014, 08:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 06-30-2014, 08:55 PM by Hawk Kriegsman.)
Hello All,

I am not sure you want to set the night visibility exactly to one. That would been there would be no difference between a night with a full moon and a starless overcast new moon night.

From page 71 in the game manual:

Quote:"Line of Sight & Illuminated Hexes – The default Line of Sight during a Night scenario is variable
between one and two hexes."

I think that should be implemented to give more flavor to night scenarios.

@5 Leichte Div: If you shoot at gun flashes you will hit a random unit in a hex not necessarily the one you selected.

Thanx!

Hawk
06-30-2014, 09:16 PM,
(06-30-2014, 08:53 PM)Hawk Kriegsman Wrote: I am not sure you want to set the night visibility exactly to one. That would been there would be no difference between a night with a full moon and a starless overcast new moon night.

From page 71 in the game manual:

Quote:"Line of Sight & Illuminated Hexes – The default Line of Sight during a Night scenario is variable
between one and two hexes."

I think that should be implemented to give more flavor to night scenarios.

With Variable Visibility (and for legacy scenarios), it still is. No change there.

Note that with the new #-#[v] Visibility system, scenario designers can set Visibility to 1, 2, 3, ... -- whatever they please, whenever they please.
07-01-2014, 09:00 AM,
A great addition, many possibilities now!
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/