• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Patch 2.01
06-12-2014, 04:42 AM,
RE: Patch 2.01
(06-12-2014, 04:16 AM)Jason Petho Wrote: Adding the additional scenarios shouldn't be an issue, although they may have to have the visibility and turn length modified as the standard has changed.

Not at all. 2.01 will load and run older scenarios, with the older standard turn length and visibility specs, just fine. If you start 2.01 with an older scenario, the save game files will adapt to the new 2.01 standard automatically. (And so too if you modify older scenarios in the scenario editor. All specs will auto-adapt to the new 2.01 standard as needed.)

We took pains to ensure that older scenarios and data files continue to be usable unaltered, as is.
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2014, 04:57 AM,
(06-12-2014, 04:42 AM)berto Wrote:
(06-12-2014, 04:16 AM)Jason Petho Wrote: Adding the additional scenarios shouldn't be an issue, although they may have to have the visibility and turn length modified as the standard has changed.

Not at all. 2.01 will load and run older scenarios, with the older standard turn length and visibility specs, just fine. If you start 2.01 with an older scenario, the save game files will adapt to the new 2.01 standard automatically. (And so too if you modify older scenarios in the scenario editor. All specs will auto-adapt to the new 2.01 standard as needed.)

We took pains to ensure that older scenarios and data files continue to be usable unaltered, as is.
Thanks for the clarification, Berto!
Send this user an email
06-12-2014, 01:06 PM,
I guess I still have to be the jacka$$ here. Patches and changes should fit or modify the last previous patch instead of having to uninstall and reinstall the original game. I would prefer to have waited until everything was worked out and then patch rather than this route of uninstall and reinstall. I suppose one cannot play against others that have already patched up?

These things you are talking about if just patched over what is already there, do they really exist or y'all just guessing there might be something? This is something that you have already been through and had those problems and how much of a problem do they really make?

I will await a response before I decide to go through the hassle of all that or just stay where I am.
06-12-2014, 04:00 PM,
(06-12-2014, 01:06 PM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: I guess I still have to be the jacka$$ here. Patches and changes should fit or modify the last previous patch instead of having to uninstall and reinstall the original game. I would prefer to have waited until everything was worked out and then patch rather than this route of uninstall and reinstall. I suppose one cannot play against others that have already patched up?

The Matrix/Slitherine installer -- which we the dev team do not program or administer -- is only capable of unpacking new stuff over old. It does not have the capability to delete stuff, rename stuff, move it around, etc.

Quote:These things you are talking about if just patched over what is already there, do they really exist or y'all just guessing there might be something? This is something that you have already been through and had those problems and how much of a problem do they really make?

No guesses. There is problematic stuff. How problematic, we can't be sure.

If you want to update 2.00 -> 2.01, go ahead. But if problems result -- maybe, maybe not, not saying definitely -- don't say you weren't warned.

Quote:I will await a response before I decide to go through the hassle of all that or just stay where I am.

Again, your call. But we don't plan to revisit JTCS until 2016, and M/S won't be remastering the game (with the then 2.10 as the new base install) until 2016, if then. That's a long time to hold out.
06-13-2014, 12:48 AM,
Gents: Smoke7

IMO it's pretty straight forward here.

(1.) Conduct the strongly recommended "clean" install and patch up to 2.01... and have "piece of mind" that you have a properly operating game... Smile

OR

(2.) Ignore the strongly recommended "clean" install and patch over 2.00... and take a gamble that you have a properly operating game. Angry5

I plan to follow choice #1 once I conclude my PBeM games under 2.00. I don't like having multiple installs of JTCS on my PC.

But, you better believe that I've got some good incentive to finish up these matches shortly! Wink Waiting2
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
06-13-2014, 03:24 AM,
(06-13-2014, 12:48 AM)Kool Kat Wrote: I don't like having multiple installs of JTCS on my PC.

Until I cleaned up my disks in the past week, on a dozen different disk partitions across my four dev/test systems, and including production, development, testing, packaging, backup, and archive copies, I have maintained -- no kidding -- 80+ separate installs of JTCS versions 1.00, 1.04, 2.00, 2.01 & beyond.

Yikes

After the cleanup, I now have only a mere ~50 installs.

Twilight Zone
06-13-2014, 05:24 AM,
(06-13-2014, 03:24 AM)berto Wrote: After the cleanup, I now have only a mere ~50 installs.

Twilight Zone

Berto: Smoke7

Even a non-programmer / developer like myself thinks that 50+ installs is a little much? Idea2
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
06-13-2014, 06:52 AM,
(06-13-2014, 05:24 AM)Kool Kat Wrote: Even a non-programmer / developer like myself thinks that 50+ installs is a little much? Idea2

By far, most of them are/were backup & archive installs. I do monthly backups (daily backups of the code), and retain them as far back as a year or more. You never know when you might need to refer back to something.

Also, note: four different systems (soon a fifth), four+ different game versions. It all adds up. Dizzy
06-13-2014, 06:58 PM,
50+ installs!!?Yikes

Let me get my head around that. I got three (1.04, 2.00, 2.01) and I think that's way to much...

If you could get those 50 installs to fight each other, together all at once you would have the largest Campaign Series scenario in recorded history! It would be universal, monumental and I'll take the Allies!

Hats off to you berto!Respect

cheers

ItBCigar5
06-19-2014, 06:18 AM,
I don't relish the prospect of a fresh install, but my reaction depends on whether I'm dealing with the work of unpaid volunteers or Matrix. (Briefly, if it's volunteers, thanks very much, really appreciate the effort that's gone into this, look forward to it. If it's Matrix, let's have a proper relationship where I pay something for this excellent software I purchased years ago (subscription/JTCS 2 or whatever), but in return you step it up to the standards of (most!) of my other software suppliers. Fix your installer or whatever. And thank you for this patch in the meantime.)

Whichever, on a more positive note, the new toolbar will mean I can recommend the game again to friends, as the toolbar in the manual will match up to what's on screen..... so thanks again for that.