• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Smolensk full game
05-23-2014, 02:20 PM,
RE: Smolensk full game
(05-22-2014, 11:15 PM)fabiominatti Wrote: Hi Flip0009,
the friends of forum have explained well where to find the scenario that I have said.
The scenario "Drive of Smolensk" is historically more correct than the standard and more balanced.
In this respect, I suggest you to read the "Smolensk ExPk2 Designer Notes" doc file present in Smolensk '41 Battle Pack #2 by Avanzini. I suggest too to read the "Smolensk Alternate Campaign Changes" doc file of Volcano Mods: the Alt scenarios are highly appreciated by the players on the forum.
Take your time for read this files: however, will be useful if you want to play in this forum! Big Grin
Let me know if you still interested in my proposal, and good luck! Smile

Ok, I will take your suggestion and read what you suggested. I am sure they will make it a better game.

This is the idea or part of this that I am wondering about. I am assuming that the designers of the original game tried for historical accuracy. So, if I do these mods to the original game, is it no longer historically accurate? I will check that out.
Quote this message in a reply
05-24-2014, 12:56 AM,
The expansion files do not change the original campaign, they are different files.
05-24-2014, 01:35 PM,
Ok, so I am an idiot. It is probably obvious to everyone but me. But here goes.

I go to volcano and find the Smolensk download but as soon as I start unzipping the files I have to decide what to do. First I am asked to change the names of files then I have to choose whether to replace, skip or leave two versions. Argh!

I can follow directions but I have no idea what choice I am supposed to make!

On top of that, I do not want balanced play. I want historical. If I want balanced play I would play chess. I have no qualm with art changes, I do not care. However, HPS patches the games for make play better but what does Volcano do? Everything I have seen so far, and I am probably wrong, seems to be they give Russian tanks more armor than they deserve so they stand up to German tanks better. They tweek the numbers on the units and the dice roll tables so really you are playing German on German or Russian on Russian. Seems like they are turning the game into a chess match.

Tell me if I am wrong.
05-24-2014, 04:33 PM,
(05-24-2014, 01:35 PM)flip0009 Wrote: I go to volcano and find the Smolensk download but as soon as I start unzipping the files I have to decide what to do. First I am asked to change the names of files then I have to choose whether to replace, skip or leave two versions. Argh!
Sounds like you're new at this...I assume you're talking about the graphic files? First you should back up all of your existing graphics files unless you want to reinstall the game if you don't like the Volcano mods (very unlikely!). Once you've backed up, then replace the contents of your various folders with the Volcano mods, overwriting the existing files. You shouldn't have to, and indeed shouldn't, change any file names or they will not work.

(05-24-2014, 01:35 PM)flip0009 Wrote: On top of that, I do not want balanced play. I want historical. If I want balanced play I would play chess. I have no qualm with art changes, I do not care. However, HPS patches the games for make play better but what does Volcano do? Everything I have seen so far, and I am probably wrong, seems to be they give Russian tanks more armor than they deserve so they stand up to German tanks better. They tweek the numbers on the units and the dice roll tables so really you are playing German on German or Russian on Russian. Seems like they are turning the game into a chess match.
Not sure where you got the impression that the volcano scenarios are mainly intended to increase balance; I can't access the Volcano site right now, but my recollection is that his mods are generally intended to make the games more "realistic", and they generally achieve that by lowering the quality of Soviet infantry, and maybe a few other things. They also use a "standardized" unit database so that the same type of unit will have the same ratings between all the games (ie, a T-34 will have the same ratings regardless of the game).
05-24-2014, 05:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-24-2014, 05:16 PM by fabiominatti.)
An observation regarding the scenarios "Drive of Smolensk" by Avanzini and Alt version.
They are most blanced because only more Hyistorical!!! The initial position on forces is historical, the standard scenario not: Avanzini , for example considers a soviet counterattack near Lepel and its consequences in the battlefield.
The German forces are those historically engaged in the field of play; have been eliminated those in action off the map, like most of LVII Korps who was committed to the north of the map.
Also several Russian units have been eliminated for the same reasons.
I checked everything in the history books and I agree with Avanzini! Smile
So more balanced because most historical, and not because it turned into a game of chess!! Big Grin
I'd like to hear the opinion of someone who has played this scenario, although earlier in this thread someone has already spoken out in favor. Smile
05-24-2014, 05:29 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-24-2014, 05:31 PM by Mr Grumpy.)
No one is a idiot, I remember when I used to struggle with this type of stuff, it is only with some experience that you know what is important and what you can ignore.

In reference to renaming files, what the site is warning you of is that the download will overwrite the standard HPS graphics files unless you change their file names, most people go to the VM site to obtain his graphics files so they don't care if the standard files are overwritten, but of course it is only correct that the site should warn you, as you say you don't care about the graphics so this is irrelevant to you so just overwrite, no need to rename or backup . Wink

As for what is "historical" ? The issue here is that this is often down to people's personal opinion, when S41 was released I have no doubt the designer felt that the campaign game was balanced and used historical values, when the S41 expansion pack was released the designers took a slightly different approach with their Drive on Smolensk campaign game in terms of set up, victory levels and unit values and when VM created his alternate version on the campaign game he chose to use a slightly different set up and unit values (standardised across all of his scenarios), so which scenario is the most historical? Well I am afraid that is down to opinion, no designer is saying the previous scenario is not historical, they created a different version to display their opinion of the unit set up, combat values and victory levels, it might be the case that it will only be after you have played all three versions and read a lot of material about the campaign that you will have a personal opinion on which version is the most historical?
05-25-2014, 01:42 AM,
Here something to help not mess your installation:
https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=65299
That should allow you to turn ON and OFF any Mods you like to use without having to make manual backups.

And a bit on the Volcano Mods to read, maybe that will give more insight of those Mods:
https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=38745
05-25-2014, 02:47 PM,
Ok, thank you for your insights. Seems to be "more balanced" is wrong wording.

I know the guys who put these together put in a lot of historical work and get the OOB for both sides. I would think they know the numbers of troops and vehicles involved in a battle fairly well. I also know they make decisions on the numbers each unit carries to mark its strengths and abilities. In the end it is just a dice roll. You guys are saying that Volcano choose "better" numbers and made "better" die roll charts.

Do the designers have a forum where they say what they think of the other designers remake of their game? I would like to read that.

I will copy and save my HPS version and overwrite with the Volcano. (Daydreaming, I would play both campaign games and I would be able to judge for myself. That would take over two years.)

I want to tell you guys again how great it is to play the campaign game. The little scenarios limit you with time and the map too much. You are really just a general. You are doing your job in the chain of command. In the campaign game, you are command. In Stalingrad I am playing with Yvan, I conceived a grand strategy and then reworked it constantly as soon as the bullets flew. I have not won yet and the game is only 125 turns in. The real work is the supply and command structure. I have learned to ignore objectives and concentrate on the disposition of my forces versus Yvans.

Oh, did I get demoted because I did not report a game for so long? I think I was once a master sergeant.Helmet Rolleyes
05-25-2014, 02:51 PM,
(05-25-2014, 02:47 PM)flip0009 Wrote: Oh, did I get demoted because I did not report a game for so long? I think I was once a master sergeant.Helmet Rolleyes

It must be because of number of posts; I've never played or reported a game to the Blitz.
05-25-2014, 03:19 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-25-2014, 03:20 PM by Ricky B.)
Rank is purely a function of posts, as 76mm states. Or you can set a custom "rank" or title as I have done, using the control panel.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]