• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

HQ tank units - How do you use them?
05-02-2014, 01:24 AM,
RE: HQ tank units - How do you use them?
Dog Soldier, the Soviets can already move their units around in regular modern "Western" fashion like the units of all other nations, so if such a penalty is what you suggest is applied, it should also apply to them.

However, I'm not sure if it's a good idea as the various morale penalties could rapidly make a unit useless if it's disrupted and has an "HQ not in range" penalty.

One of the things I like about the current system is the lack of low ammo and low fuel results, which means it takes longer for units to lose combat effectiveness.
Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2014, 08:30 PM,
Well, i see the tank company HQ more as a bonus... if you cant use it you dont have negative effects, only lose the bonus in the unit.
05-08-2014, 01:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-08-2014, 02:02 AM by ComradeP.)
One of the problems with tank HQ's is that they allow the player to manipulate the combat system.

For example: a stack of regular combat units and one or more HQ units might draw fire to an HQ unit instead of to the regular combat units.

That's one of the things I don't really like about the combat system: the firing unit might draw return fire, but that return fire is dispersed to a random unit in the stack for some strange reason.

Even though AA is less effective at range than in PzC for the same range in meters, the "low attack value can regularly get kills on higher defence value units" effect means Stuka's are commonly shot down by units with AA values of 2. By itself, this wouldn't be bad per se, but what makes it bad is both the high points for a single Stuka (6) and that the air strike might hit an HQ unit or another fairly weak unit (which, like with the return fire happens regularly) instead of the tank company you actually wanted to hit.

This also means that the numerous Soviet HQ's gives the Soviet player an advantage over the Axis player, as when the Soviet player fires, he's nearly always firing at regular combat units, whilst the Axis return fire is often likely to hit an HQ unit.

You could describe why this happens in another tale of "it's an abstraction of..." but that's not a solid foundation of the system.

For a mathematical system, the system currently gives lots of results that from a mathematical perspective be far less common than they are now based pn the numbers for attack and defence strengths.
05-08-2014, 08:10 AM,
My experience is that regardless of being stacked with other units or on their own in a hex, armor HQ units do not last long. Axis ones last a bit longer than Soviet ones. That maybe a function of the quality of the firing units more than anything else.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
05-08-2014, 03:33 PM,
They might not last long, but every turn they attract fire instead of the regular combat unit helps, which is why I feel they manipulate the combat system in some situations.
05-11-2014, 06:40 AM,
Serving a purpose or not is irrelevant to them being in the game. generally the cdr had his tank and a back up. They were a part of the units and should be a part of the oob as it is now. But, if something is changed for all the comments made here, that would just be a bonus. I don't think they should be removed from the game though.