• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Is CM dying?
04-21-2014, 12:23 AM,
RE: Is CM dying?
(04-20-2014, 03:06 PM)Bradley62 Wrote: I frequent BFC forums daily and there are many new members on the forums. I believe it is growing with every BF release as anyone in this niche recognizes the quality of game (bang for the buck) that we're getting.

Spot on. I also have noticed new members on the BFC forum arriving steadily - it is good to see.
Quote this message in a reply
04-21-2014, 02:46 AM,
(04-21-2014, 12:23 AM)A Canadian Cat Wrote:
(04-20-2014, 03:06 PM)Bradley62 Wrote: I frequent BFC forums daily and there are many new members on the forums. I believe it is growing with every BF release as anyone in this niche recognizes the quality of game (bang for the buck) that we're getting.

Spot on. I also have noticed new members on the BFC forum arriving steadily - it is good to see.

And once a new player gets a taste of playing against a real human being they will really see the game shine. I just looked at our Boot Camp section and there are 2 pages of names. The Blitz is full of good guys who like the challenge of playing against human intelligence so I encourage all the guys on the Boot Camp list to go out and use the matchmaking feature to get some games in.
04-22-2014, 04:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-22-2014, 04:39 AM by Weasel.)
I have found I am becoming disenchanted with CM2 now, it seems in every battle your infantry (not just mine, both sides) get wiped out completely starting with your squad leaders and gunners. I am finding that it is becoming more and more a chore to play the remaining 4 games of CM2 I have going and once they are done so will I be for a while.

I am actually starting to think about reinstalling Cm1 now.

(04-20-2014, 08:09 AM)DB_Zero Wrote:
(04-20-2014, 06:38 AM)Steiner14 Wrote:

Take a look at another game Rome Total War. Many of us expected Rome Total War 2 to build on the classic. What we got was a simplified game that was designed to appeal to more entry level players. That just angered many long time loyal fans, myself included.

What RTW2 is out and it sucks?, crap I was waiting for it too. Guess I will stick to version 1 then.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
04-22-2014, 07:14 AM,
RTW2 had a very poor release but they are on patch 12 now and its turned out to be a good game.

I have spent about 150 hours on it and will probably log hundreds more in the years to come.
04-22-2014, 07:36 AM,
Thanks Daisy, will check it out afterall then.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
04-22-2014, 09:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-22-2014, 02:56 PM by enigma6584.)
(04-20-2014, 08:09 AM)DB_Zero Wrote: The day BF simplifies CM for the masses, starts adding magical abilities and giving instant gratification to appeal to the masses will be the day I stop buying their product.

Its a craft beer in a mass produced market.

Amen.
04-22-2014, 10:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-22-2014, 11:56 AM by DB_Zero.)
(04-22-2014, 07:14 AM)daisy Wrote: RTW2 had a very poor release but they are on patch 12 now and its turned out to be a good game.

I have spent about 150 hours on it and will probably log hundreds more in the years to come.

Sieges are still borked. That is a huge component of warfare in that period. Units just stand around and get pelted. Units don't even use siege equipment.

You have situations were a few units with overpowered torches burn down the gates instantly then bum rush the single opening while others units with siege equipment do nothing. If that was the case back in the day nobody would have bother making siege equipment. They would have just used torches, but we know that was not the case.

On the rare occasion when siege equipment is used it takes just a few shots to knock down a wall. Catapults that toss rocks behave like modern day field artillery.

And whats with the barbarians having the same siege equipment as the Romans?

Empire uses the same game engine and to this day sieges and attacking forts is broken. There is some question as to whether the game engine in Empire and Rome will ever get fixed in regards to sieges as it may be hard coded.

My biggest gripe is the fact they released this over hyped product in such a bug ridden state. You paid $50 bucks for a alpha product.

Sure they released 12 patches, that tells you something considering just how broken it was at launch and 12 patches later sieges is not fixed. You waited 8 months and 12 patches for a game that is now in a beta state-yet paid in full upfront.

You really should not support companies that operate in such a manner. CA/SEGA had to have known they had a product with wasn't baked-and we're not talking half baked, were talking not even put into the oven, yet they released it and took people money anyway.

If people keep on supporting this sort of behavior why should they change in the future? They never bothered fixing the forts in Empire and why should they? People still give them money for broken products.

Its for this reason I refuse to purchase World in Flames. I really want to like it and see it succeed, but $99 for a game with no AI? No PBEM? $99 for a game I can only play solitare or at some point online-but I have to be online? How is that going to work when you have many players who live in different time zones?
04-22-2014, 01:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-22-2014, 01:52 PM by DB_Zero.)
(04-22-2014, 04:36 AM)Weasel Wrote: I have found I am becoming disenchanted with CM2 now, it seems in every battle your infantry (not just mine, both sides) get wiped out completely starting with your squad leaders and gunners. I am finding that it is becoming more and more a chore to play the remaining 4 games of CM2 I have going and once they are done so will I be for a while.

I am actually starting to think about reinstalling Cm1 now.

Not sure if I can put all of thins on CM2. They say real war is 99% boredom and 1% real action-the kind 99% can do without. The battles are very compressed and players do things they would never do in real life. If CM mimicked war or combat to a highly realistic degree players would get bored.

In real life you would spend a lot more time-hours if not days just observing the same areas we do battle in CM, but who wants to do that in a game/combat simulator? So we just spend a few minutes doing the recon thing and then go looking for trouble.

As much as we would like to think of ourselves as great generals/commanders we really behave like Romans watching a gladiator match. 2 players enter the arena and we want what we get - action, blood and gut-lots and lots of it.
04-22-2014, 09:32 PM,
(04-22-2014, 09:58 AM)enigma6584 Wrote:
(04-20-2014, 08:09 AM)DB_Zero Wrote: The day BF simplifies CM for the masses, starts adding magical abilities and giving instant gratification to appeal to the masses will be the day I stop buying their product.

Its a craft beer in a mass produced market.

Amen.

Enigma,
you are replying to a strawman.
Nobody here argued that CM be simplified and made an easier game.
04-23-2014, 02:36 AM,
CMx1 was a more accessible game to non niche war gamers that is why imo it was more popular than CMx2 which is a bit more taxing and less forgiving and also misses "fun" elements like targets lines etc. CMx2 is just more hardcore.

I personally prefer CMx2 because it has better realism imo but it took a while to come round.