• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

How about a tournament?
03-31-2014, 08:44 PM,
How about a tournament?
Hi there,

I have been around here for a while now, playing some ladder games and the odd scenario of the month but I feel that we could do with a tournament or two to add a little spice to the usual ladder games.

I have toyed around with a new tournament concept for a while and would be willing to test it out here on the Blitz if there are some interested players that willing to give it a go.

The tournament format is borrowed from Collectible Card Games Limited tournaments, they come in two flavours, Sealed Deck and Draft, and the flavour I want to try out first is the Sealed Deck variant.

In a Sealed Deck tournament each participant will get a bunch of units (in CM it will be infantry platoons, vechicles and heavy weapon platoons), from these units you will pick the units you want to use and in what scenario. I will set up each scenario using the units you chose, it will be possible to mix different nationalities with each other, you can have SS fighting along Shermans or British Paras supported by Marders which will hopefully make the tournament stand out from regular lader games.

Every player will play one ME, one Probe as attacker and one Probe as defender, players will de divided into groups of four and play against the other three and the best player(s) in each group will play the finals in the same way.

Are there any interest in this? If there is, then I will post more detailed rules and start making the Sealed Decks. I think that I can handle 8 or 12 people the first time and if it is a success then I hope that I can coninue with similar tournaments, maybe even try a draft.
Quote this message in a reply
03-31-2014, 11:36 PM,
RE: How about a tournament?
Sounds interesting. I played a lot of Magic the Gathering and some Sealed deck - lots of fun. I would be interested. How will you create the rules around selection? Normally in a sealed deck card tournament you could theoretically just use all your cards but that would be a mistake because you want to find connections and synergies to create a winning combination.

In combat mission if choosing everything was an option it would always to be the right choice. Will you create sets of units in categories and we have to choose some number from each category? Will you create sets of units that are worth equal points and we can choose so many units?
04-01-2014, 03:18 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-01-2014, 03:18 AM by Cogust.)
I thought that I would assign each unit a size which is based on the unit cost at regular quality, fit, +0 leadership and normal motivation. Units costing between 150 and 249 point would have size 2 (round to nearest 100). In each game you can assign a certain amount of size points, I chose the amount to make them equal to medium sized quick battles.

ME: 25 points for each side
Probe: 20 points for the defender, 30 points for the attacker.

That means that you have to pick 75 points of units and divide them into three groups, one attacking group, one defending group and one ME group. I will have to ensure that the 'Sealed Deck'contains more that 75 size points so that the players can actually make some choices.
04-01-2014, 12:22 PM,
Oh, cool choose from the same pool for all three battles. I like it.
04-03-2014, 07:48 PM,
Are there any more interested players? I would need 4, 8 or 12 to pull this one off.
04-03-2014, 10:38 PM,
(04-03-2014, 07:48 PM)Cogust Wrote: Are there any more interested players? I would need 4, 8 or 12 to pull this one off.

I did not quite understand the system at the beginning, but now it sounds very interesting. Count me in! Helmet Smile
04-05-2014, 11:55 AM,
Im in for a tourney. I have all CM2x to latest but would prefer RT at this time.
Cigar good.
04-07-2014, 01:08 PM,
Just in case there is doubt - I'm in
04-08-2014, 07:00 PM,
Okay, that's three participants so far so we just need one or five more to go.

I'll try to post more detailed rules this week, it seems proper to aim for a CMRT tournament instead of the Market Garden variant I had prepared for. Should be pretty easy to note down the CMRT units and prepare som 'Sealed Decks'.