• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Winter War
04-01-2014, 01:36 AM,
Winter War
Anybody playing Winter War? I am thinking about my next SqB addition. What about The Proud and the Few? SCW? And I remember reading good comments about DBP. Sure wish the British title for SqB would come out - I'd snap it up in a heartbeat.

Currently have:

Vietnam
AOTR
RV
Eagles Strike
Pacific
Grenada

Of course, I have yet to install the Africa at War mod, and really explore PW that well, and there is that PT project which still needs many hours ... sigh - anybody out there fabulously wealthy wish to adopt an older, stable son and, and make him heir to a vast fortune? Think of the greater good it will do for the SqB community! ROTFLMAO
Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2014, 04:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-01-2014, 04:24 AM by Embis.)
RE: Winter War
Hi Steve,
Winter war is a good choice, the Ski troops can really make for some very fluid engagements, I really like it. I dont think I would go for Proud and Few if you already have Pacific War, a bit too similar. Modern War is also nice for a bit of change from the standard WW2 stuff, as is Falklands.

Anyway, whatever you get wrap up a file and send it on for another PBEM!

....And I second you on the British problem, We Brits are disappointingly under represented in the WW2 games by JTS and HPS.Helmet Rolleyes
04-01-2014, 05:20 AM,
Hi Steve,
if WW1 interests you you should chose SBWW1. It has a great modern graphic.
Modern war , Afganistan and Falkland is also good, could play it day and nigth.
04-01-2014, 11:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-01-2014, 11:37 AM by Richie61.)
Here Steve,

Winter War is a great title. Lots of infantry and not much armor on armor.

Spanish Civil War is another great infantry game. Takes a lot of skill to win when both sides have
mostly bolt action rifles.

I like Proud and Few more than PW. I think the island scenarios are awesome.

I think I am the only person who doesn't care for DBP Box Hide

I also like Falklands. Mostly low tech weapons and infantry humping it around Big Grin

Modern War is ok. Nicely done title, but US firepower wins most games. It's "Shock and Awe"
Most scenarios as non USA are this: Upset

Course I will play anything too LOL
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
04-02-2014, 10:40 PM,
I split off the X-Mod discussion from this thread, to keep it a bit tidier...
04-02-2014, 10:51 PM,
Winter war is a very good game.
04-03-2014, 06:04 AM,
Anything that Ozgur works on is good game. I like Soviet Afghan War better than Winter War, but that's just me. Probably because it was the first game I worked on.
04-13-2014, 09:25 AM,
My 2 Cents  RE: Winter War
Hi Steve,

Have both WW and SCW, both are pretty cool for the reasons already given in other posts.

Realising this applies to a non SB title, will mention though -
Recently (2 days ago) acquired Battle of Kursk. Touted as a replacement as East Front 2 (a favourite)
thought I'd give it a go.

I "think" I'm liking it.
Not sure it has the same "feel" as EF2, but it is like playing a TOC with a decided SB "feel".
Hope that makes more sense, than it appears as written.

PS: In RV can you lay off the motorbikes?