• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Modern war -Thunderbolt fake
03-30-2014, 11:34 PM,
Modern war -Thunderbolt fake
Hello,

please i have a problem with the scenario Thunderbolt fake from Squadbattles Modern war.

I have captured an 300 point objective, all soldiers in the hex are my troops but
the hex remains as enemy hex.
Is this so becourse the adjacent hex is still occupied by enemys ?

[Image: s3jy.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
03-31-2014, 01:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-31-2014, 01:13 AM by TheBigRedOne.)
RE: Modern war -Thunderbolt fake
These are Collateral Objectives:

Quote:March 31, 2003
Al Hillah
Side: US vs AI or PBEM
Note: This scenario uses collateral hexes.

On the road to Baghdad, the 101st Airborne Division was instructed to conduct a feint against Al Hillah as a diversion to mislead the Iraqis as to the direction of the main effort. The feint would also serve as support for 3 ID's attack on OBJ Murray. TF 2-70 AR (Thunderbolts) were at hand and they got assigned to this mission. To support them, the 3 ID would provide air and artillery support.

Despite the quality of the force, the Iraqis decided to stand and fight and the feint turned into a significant battle, even including units of the Iraqi Republican Guard's Nebuchadnezzar Division.

What they are meant to represent are buildings that the offensive forces are supposed to try to avoid firing into, Mosques, schools, places with known civilians or a variety of other buildings that the ROE would prevent you from firing into. This makes it tough because the enemy can occupy these and fire at you from them. Firing into them actually causes you to lose points. You fired into it so much that it cost you 300 victory points. Start the game again and look at the value in the hex, it starts at 0. You can assault into them without causing the points to change, however.

Look around the map, you'll see normal objectives. Those are the ones to capture to get points.

Quote:• Collateral - The point value of these objectives increases when enemy fire affects the hex they are in. Collateral Objectives can be assaulted however without causing the point value to change. Collateral Objectives do not change side. If a Collateral Objective has a positive value, then that value is awarded to the owning side (regardless of who occupies it). If a Collateral Objective has a negative value and is occupied by the opposing side, then that value is a penalty to the owning side.

-Note that a Collateral Objective that starts the scenario with a zero value can never help the opposing side, only hurt it if fire from that side affects the hex. A Collateral Objective that starts the scenario with a negative value can help the opposing side if they can occupy the hex without causing their fire to make the value positive before they occupy it.

I think the usage of these types of objectives is pretty cool and really change how you have to play a scenario. Rather than shooting up everything you see, you need to be careful. It means that you might have to run around with Hold Fire on your weapons so your Op Fire doesn't automatically return fire into those hexes.

These and Capture Hexes are things that really give the designer some flexibility to make scenarios interesting. Capture hexes also give the attacker a bit of a break from some rouge enemy unit that ended up Demoralized and sitting in the woods for 10 turns, coming in towards the end of a scenario and re-taking an abandoned objective after the opposing forces have moved up towards the rest of the battle. I've always hated situations like this.
Site Commander: Task Force Echo 4
03-31-2014, 01:48 AM,
RE: Modern war -Thunderbolt fake
Hello,
thank you for info, not reading the scenarioinfos was my problem.
Squadbattles series really great with a lot of options what makes the game
never become boring.
Thank you for help.