• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

AAR PBEM: Leipzig Campaign
04-07-2014, 11:55 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-08-2014, 12:03 AM by milrevko.)
RE: AAR PBEM: Leipzig Campaign
Turn 22 Northern Front:

The Prussian advance against the French IV Corps 15th Division continues, with the 15th division bearing the brunt of the attacks.
[Image: T22%20NF%20Disaster%20looming%20before%20Bennewitz.gif]

The New Shot is the Big Picture which includes the entire map and also note the orange box will inclue the proceeding shot of the detail map. The distance between the Frnech IV Corps and French VI Corps defiys explanation. The real question is why is the French player even defending in this area, if he can not support his corps ther is no reason to fight there.
[Image: T22%20Big%20Picture%20of%20the%20Wiesena...%20box.gif]
[Image: T22%20NF%20The%20%20Wiesena%20Gap.gif]

Turn 24: The Big picture gives the appearance of the French light CAV scouts and the approach to the western limits of the west Leipzig "kill box" that is formed buy the west Leipzig fortifications:
[Image: Turn%2024%20BP%20with%20French%20scouts.gif]

A closer look at the Western Leipzig "kill box" The Prussians are continuing the maneuver to give a multi pronged attack to the western approaches to the city
[Image: T24%20Leipzig%20Killing%20Grounds%20West...20city.gif]
Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2014, 12:13 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-08-2014, 07:43 PM by milrevko.)
Turn 25 gives more details on why to make sure your flanks are supported at the battalion level all the way up to the Corps level. As the town of Bennewitz becomes the French 15th division defending point. Why, only the French player knows because its flanks are not supported and it will lead to destruction of 4 to 5 french infantry battalions....
[Image: T25%20NF%20The%20advance%20of%201st%20Korps.gif]

Turn 25 Big Picture:

The French Young Guard makes it's appearance on the map:
[Image: T25%20Big%20Picture%20The%20First%20sigh...0Guard.jpg]

Attached Files
.gif   T25 Big Picture The First sighting of the French Old Guard.gif (Size: 105.91 KB / Downloads: 253)
04-09-2014, 12:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-09-2014, 12:13 AM by milrevko.)
Turn 26 gives the detail of the primary Austrian advance of the II Corps and the Cuirassier Corps on the main southern road/pike to Leipzig. To the right of the main advance come up the troops of the Austrian III Corps and the Reserve Corps.

[Image: T26%20SF%20Details%20of%20Austrian%20MLR.gif]

The zoom out detail of the southern front give the extreme right flank support of the Russians whom are at least ten to 15 turns behind the Austrians in road moment not counting the turns (or time) it will take to deploy from road march. And, it si not like I have them (the Russians) in perfect road order)
.gif   T26 SF Zoom out of Austrians and Russians.gif (Size: 444.13 KB / Downloads: 237)

The French VI Corps cav has been Identified on the Austrian southern front where as I had thought it was facing the Prussians in the north.
[Image: T26%20BP.gif]
04-11-2014, 01:02 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-09-2014, 08:09 AM by milrevko.)
T27: Overview of the Allied advance north and south with allied Armee strength:
[Image: T27%20BP%20Army%20Placement.gif]

T27:
The southern front:
The Austrians have now formed the II Corps for a comprehensive assault on the French II Corps. The only question is should I pound him with arty for a few turns to soften him up. The upside is the French II corps will be further weakened by a 30+ arty pounding at a 2-3 hex range. The down side is the French Guard corps comes closer with every turn. I plan to destroy the French II Corps as a fighting unit before the Guard makes its appearance. Here is where the French II Corps should simply back up. The Russian INF is not in line as of yet, they are 10 to 15 turns out (he might be able to guess this). But, why not back up to the Guard and give ye old "back hand blow"...yes, that is the fear of the Austrians....
[Image: T27%20SF%20Austrian%20form%20for%20assult.gif]
04-13-2014, 04:03 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-09-2014, 08:10 AM by milrevko.)
Turn 28 shows the after effect of a unsupported CAV charge in to the Austrian lines. As the Austrians form for attack the French launch three cav charges into the Austrian lines but fail to support these pin prick charge. They do take out two 6 gun batteries and cause routs of three battalion back through the densely packed Austrian lines.

One of the first mistakes the Austrians made on turn 28, the geography has channeled the attack in to a densely packed area, not leaving proper room behind the lines for units to rout out with out disrupting everything including the kitchen sink...
[Image: T28%20SF%20Unsupported%20CAV%20Charge.gif]
04-30-2014, 11:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 05-09-2014, 08:11 AM by milrevko.)
Turn 31:

The Big Picture
[Image: T31%20Big%20Picture.gif]
View of the Assembly of the Russian CAV forces(click on link below)

.gif   T31 SF Main Body of the Russian CAV of the French flank.gif (Size: 316.13 KB / Downloads: 330)
The Austrian have taken a chance and gone for the French guns on the hill tops behind the village. In my opinion they were not defended to the max and were some what vulnerable. The northern most unit took out two batteries, and each unit on the flanks was able to take out a battery. In essence over the last 15 turns I was able to to knock out the French II Corps and most of its arty.
[Image: T31%20SF%20Austrian%20Break%20Through.gif]

In the North the French IV Corps is really about to pay for the decesion not to support it and not to run...
[Image: T31%20NF%20Prussian%20Breakthrough.gif]
05-01-2014, 12:22 AM,
Turn 32: Pound the water to scurry the fishes...and see what happens...

In the little link of land between the river up by Leipzig I hand pushed a Austrian CAV div hard up the road (yes, it was dangerous because there really is no retreat route and the terrain is not cav country). I thought to keep the French reacting to my moves. The French sent a light cav div to meet me(they only needed to bring one INF and one arty and it with the lack of space it would have stopped every thing).

Well, I found the King or Rome was among the French CAV:
[Image: T31%20Big%20Picture.gif]
[Image: T32%20The%20capture%20of%20Murat.gif]

IN the south the French have the option to fall back behind the river line and wait for the Austrians to attack the counter attach when the Austrians are disorganized and disrupted or they can conter-attack right away, which of course they do...
[Image: T32%20SF%20French%20Fall%20Back%20Position.gif]
[Image: T32%20SF%20Before%20CAV%20corps%20comman...ptured.gif]
05-09-2014, 02:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-09-2014, 08:13 AM by milrevko.)
Turn 34 bring further penetration in to the doomed French IV Corps on the North Front
Never leave a corps unsupported with out CAV with an enemy army bearing down upon you:
[Image: T34%20NF%20Big%20Picture.gif]
[Image: T34%20%20%20Prussian%20Hurting.gif]
The Middle Front brings the rush to Leipzig, and with that the cutting off of the Eastern escape route:
[Image: T34%20Middle%20Rush%20to%20Leipzig.gif]
The Southern Front brings us the arrvial of some scarry looking French units from the nether regions:
[Image: T34%20SF%20Big%20picture.gif]
Here is an analysis of all the objectives on the map and there value:
[Image: Objective%20point%20analysis.gif]
Here is a look at the over all point vale of losses and objectives, some places are just not worth fighting over:
[Image: T34%20Total%20Points.gif]

Turn 36:

The big picture shows the arrival of more Russians from the north and major portion of the Prussians that were in the center of the map have disengaged and are moving to crossing over the river and meet the French with the Austrians:
[Image: T36%20BP.gif]
The French have chose not to fight the approaches to western Leipzig:
[Image: T36%20Leipzig.gif]
Keep a close eye on the south-central village of Markleeburg, its the make or break part of the game. The Young Guard have arrived, at least one of of the young Guard Corps (Two Divisions) are thrown in to the fight. The funny thing is they did not wait for me to attack and then counter attack, they just attacked supported by the huge I CAV Corps:
[Image: T36%20SF%20The%20Young%20Guards%20Arrive.gif]
05-09-2014, 02:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-09-2014, 02:49 AM by milrevko.)
Turn 41:

Here are the known enemy corps and the unknown is worrying part:
[Image: T41%20Positions%20Enemy%20Know%20corps.gif]
The action against the Austrians has been shocking, it is an all out press by the French to destroy the Austrians, to bad he did not wait until all the parts were in place before he launched the attack. Even more bad for the French is that I did wait unit all my corps were in position, my command spans were sorted out and I was able to shield the fatigued Austrian II Corps by rotating units in and out of line. The Austrian higher command is critical in providing extra leadership to routed and disrupted units behind the lines. I timed my "Full Frontal Assault, multiple- level threat index" and launched it after his attacks had dissipated. This is the big picture:
[Image: T41%20SF%20zoom%20out.gif]
Markleesburg is the town on the river on the right of the picture:
[Image: T41%20SF%20Prelude%20to%20rupture.gif]
05-09-2014, 04:56 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-09-2014, 08:20 AM by milrevko.)
Turn 43:

Let me give the big picture and known and unknown first:
[Image: Turn%2043%20BP.gif]
Here is the Austrian Full Court Press:
II Corps is in a holding position on the river, the Austrian heavy Cuirassiers Corps has stopped the French I Cav Corps and has open a breach in the French lines, allowing the fresh and uncommitted and for the most part hidden until now because of the lay of the land 15,000 strong Austrian 2nd Division of the Reserve corps to advance to the breach. The Austrian troops around the Auenhan Farm have also beat back repeated charges and isolated and kill or routed the French 1st Young Guard Corps supported by the remnants of the French II Corps, those 1st young Guard troops now battered hold the line in Front of the Austrian III Corps. The fatigue level of both the French and the Austrians are sky high:
[Image: T43%20SF%20Austrains%20Rupture%20the%20M...0front.gif]

The previously uncommitted Russian high quality light Corps and Guard Corps spring into action simultaneously assaulting and advancing upon the Galeberg Hill's and clearing the Neiderholtz Forest. It was a good thing my troops in the forest had a base line "B" moral or it would have gone much differently. All this is in support of the Austrian counter stroke:
[Image: T43%20SF%20Russian%20battle%20of%20the%2...Forest.gif]
A zoom out of the southern front:
[Image: T43%20SF%20Zoom%20out.gif]

To give scope to the intensity of the fighting compare the losses at this turn to ten turns ago.
1) Always leave retreat paths, if you do not have retreat path do not advance in to the hex.
2) Always leave room for rout's, there is so little control in where they run to and disrupt every thing they move through...maybe that's why it is called a rout!
3) Never make an unsupported CAV charge
4) Every single second of every turn think about your flanks
5) Bring you horse arty up when you make a CAV charge, do not be Ney at Waterloo, Be Murat
6) Never attack to just kill something, attacks are to be made as part of planned objective
7) Never ever interrupt the enemy when they are making a mistake...

The losses you see represent the above:
[Image: T43%20Example%20of%20Losses.gif]

Feel free to comment and tell me what I am missing, other then my poor spelling...

Can you guys read the lettering with in the post's?