• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Am I missing something / Beginners questions
11-02-2014, 06:18 PM,
RE: Am I missing something / Beginners questions
If I may, I'd like to ask a question or two as well. I just bought the game a few days ago and so far I'm really enjoying it. However, a few things have me stumped. I've read through the manual a couple of times so chances are I'm probably just missing something here. Also, the only other JTS game I've played is Squad Battles so that may have something to do with it as well.

I'm playing scenario #709_05 Hell 253.6. I'm currently on turn 3. Hex 8,9 contains an objective with a question mark overlapped upon it. For reasons I don't understand, my units are unable to fire upon the hex, regardless of the fact it is visible and within range. I receive the message 'Unit has no valid targets in hex. Even indirect fire reports 'fire on empty or unspotted hex' regardless of the fact that the hex is spotted (I think at least).

Also, can anyone recommend a few good scenarios for a beginner to learn the game with? I'll be playing the AI for at least a couple of weeks before I'm ready to try a HtH. I'm going to keep working on 253.6 until I figure it out, but I was wondering where to go from there.

Thanks for reading,
Scott
Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2014, 04:02 AM,
The scenario you picked, #0709_05 Hill 253.6 - Aufklarüngs Assault, is used to teach the player about effective reconnaissance (recon) tactics.

Try this...

At start in hexes (1,11) (1,13) (4,13) (6,13)& (8,15), the Axis force has units (infantry and Armored cars labeled 'recon units'. Right click the unit image in the information box to see this capability.

Place any of these with a clear LOS (line of sight) to a suspected enemy position. The enemy position can be any hex with cove in it. like tall grass, forest, urban, or broken terrain. You get the idea.

Click on this recon unit to highlight it so you can give it an order.

Now click in your toolbar the icon that says recon spotting when you hover over it. It looks like a pair of binoculars. The unit will search all the terrain in the unit's LOS for hidden enemy units. it might take several attempts to find all hidden enemy units. Each search attempt consumes 1/3 of the recon unit's movement allowance.

See if this works for you. If you need more help with or other issues with the game this drop me an email.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
11-03-2014, 06:37 AM,
Thanks Dog Soldier, that helped. I re-read a couple of sections on recon spotting and concealment and it's clear what I was missing now.

Thanks,
Scott