• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Technical problem
03-20-2014, 10:54 PM,
RE: Technical problem
No. Other then the original set-up, the .cmt file DOES NOT have to be resent.
I quit compressing my files ages ago (last century?). First, I doubt that it's possible to compress the .cmt. typical file size is in the hundreds of bytes. I don't like to compress the .dat because most of my transfer problems were due to compressiion errors. Compression works best with large text or video files. Something with a lot of repetitous data. You don't save enough file space or bandwidth to be worth the effort.
Unless you just like installing the game, you are spinning your wheels reinstalling.
The problem is a file transfer problem, NOT a program problem. 2 bad installs in a row? unlikely. 3? Not in a million years. IF you install 3 times and it still isn't working, check the gear. SP is an old program that has been around for decades and been worked on that long. It has been installed millions of times without a problem. A file swap is a file swap. Talk to your opponent.
Quote this message in a reply
03-21-2014, 06:38 AM,
When you reinstall are you choosing a different game path or the exact same one? If just installing over the old one then any errors you have will remain. If you haven't already try installing to a different directory name which will force new registry entries.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha
03-25-2014, 05:45 AM,
I have been away for 4 days. Only getting back to this now.
What Weasel is saying is making sense. Although I do a proper uninstall everytime, I always re-instal to the same folder as before. Maybe I must change this.

@Low Bidder, I agree. SP has been very solid for me since I started playing it. This is the first time ever that I had problems of this nature.

Funny thing is that I was away for a few days. The game crashed before I left when I tried to play my last turn. I left it as it was, came back today, tried again just to see what it does....and it works. The exact same battle. Only thing that still puzzles me is the name of the file that appears in the PBEM list within the game. It is full of #$@76&*etc etc. Looks like swearing in a text format!!!

Let's see how things goes from here.
03-25-2014, 08:29 AM,
Nope, still the same problems after I re-installed to another folder. The crashes are after I save files but every time it is with different opponent's files. It must be something on my PC that is wrong. The hardware is all fine and more than capable, must be software related. Maybe Windows? I'll keep on trying to look for an answer somehow.
03-25-2014, 04:59 PM,
Have you tried cleaning your registry? Uninstall the game and see what is left pointing at sp, delete them all. There are some tools for that, some even free like cclean.
Vesku

[Image: Medals50_thumb8.gif]
03-26-2014, 06:34 AM,
@Vesku - Will do so when I get time during the weekend.
03-26-2014, 10:32 AM,
Try CCleaner, it is free, just make sure you allow it to back up the registry before deleting. When you are done the game give it a minute to just sit, I remember long ago (LONG) that although it seemed the game was done it was still writing in the background, maybe that is the problem especially with XP. So finish your turn, wait a minute when back to the main menu, and then exit SP.
Some of us are busy doing things; some of us are busy complaining - Debasish Mridha