• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Issue with US troops
04-16-2014, 05:21 AM,
RE: Issue with US troops
Well, it appears there's not much going on here anyway, so may as well not waste my time... Maybe only do them if there's a problem, let a moderator worry about uploading?
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
Quote this message in a reply
04-16-2014, 08:04 AM,
Well, the technicalities of all this are way over my head (I just play the thing...) but seems a lot of people are looking at this, so thanks.

2p worth... if the stock scenarios can be fixed that's great, and then presumably it's just a question of being able to flag to players looking at custom scenarios on the database that the designer / someone / anybody has confirmed that the file is compatible with the post 1.03 changes. If I ever get competent/time enough to get into scenario design I'd happily fix a few, if that were possible....
04-16-2014, 08:43 AM,
Sorry, just frustrating that no-one will tell us where/how to send the updated files!! I don't mind doing them, but feel like it's a waste of time if no-one will give any dang advise on where to go with them!!! If you guys still wanted to play that scenario, it is converted and ready.
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

04-16-2014, 05:39 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-16-2014, 05:40 PM by Crossroads.)
Yes I agree. If there are scenarios that are especially skewed I am happy to help too. How to enter them to Scenario DB I would need a comment from the Ladder Moderators.

A first thought is to add "MCS 2.0" to scenario name, and add it as a separate / parallel entry to original.

Even because of a technical "fix" such as this I would be not happy to alter other people's scenarios.
04-16-2014, 07:38 PM,
Yeah, that's the thing, even just replacing the weak, unintended unit with the correct one doesn't seem right! If I don't hear anything from a Moderator soon, am just going to move on with my responsibilities, I'll fix whatever if me and my gaming partner decide it needs fixing, otherwise, I'm not spending any more time on this.
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

04-16-2014, 09:07 PM,
Gents: Smoke7

I will huddle with Dave and we'll decide what course of action to pursue here.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention and we'll circle back on this issue soon.
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
04-17-2014, 12:41 AM,
Sorry. Didn't mean to ignore the thread, just busy with RL issues.

You guys can certainly make the fix to your own scenarios and reupload them with the same name, so no problem there I assume? So the issue is what about other designers scenarios?

Are you going to take, for instance, HSL's scenarios and make the fix, then have one of us FTP them up without getting his permission? You know I can't do that. Yes, I could (I think) find all the CS scenarios in whatever directory Raz has them in and download them, then find a way to get them to you guys and you can bulk fix them, but again, not without the original designers permission. So I think for now, unless Mike West disagrees, that's going to be a dead issue.

My suggestion is to make the fix to all the stock scenarios provided on the current 2.0. That alone should take awhile. Post on the site to designers that you're willing to help them make fixes to their own files, they can reupload them with the same name, overwriting the bad ones. Provide instructions (if you're willing) to those who would prefer to do it themselves.

Jason, as a site officer, can contact Raz when he's ready, to bulk upload all the fixed stock scenarios, overwriting the old bad ones.

I'm certainly open to suggestions and thoughts and I think it's time for designers to weigh in. Would you want your scenarios touched, even with good intentions, without first giving your permission?

This is pretty much what I said to Mike and he might disagree with me, but I thought this should be an open discussion as well, so if you disagree with me, state your case.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
04-17-2014, 02:51 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-17-2014, 02:57 AM by Crossroads.)
No worries there Mike and Dave.

This is quite a huge task though. Jason's making changes to stock scenarios, those will be included in the 2.01 patch to the point he is able to complete them. So far so good.

Our own scenarios are not an issue, all the other custom scenarios are. I am pretty sure we need to go on a need-to-convert basis, based on "popular demand" to make sure we are able to keep track of the "fixed" scenarios. And to make sure with our limited time we fix the 20% of top custom scenarios that are being played 80% of the time, and not the other way around...

As whether putting them back with the original name, or creating a new version, I'll leave that to you decide.

Maybe saving them over the originals would be the way to go...? To KISS it?

No "service level" promises though... Little by little, over time. So much going on at the moment, with trying to get the 2.01 out, and all the manual DCG / Battle Generator testing that is required. And the "Middle East" being in the burner as well...
04-17-2014, 03:13 AM,
Gents: Smoke7

I've had an email exchange with Dave and I agree 100% on what he has posted.

Make the fix on the stock scenarios for Patch 2.01. Post here on the Blitz Forums that designers should work to update their own scenarios or seek help from Petri or Mike to help make the conversions.

I don't want folks tinkering with other designers' scenarios without permission... and I don't want to embark in any exercise that produces duplicate scenario entries in the game database.

I welcome other designers and players weighing in on this issue.
Regards, Mike / "A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week." - George S. Patton /
Send this user an email
04-17-2014, 03:45 AM,
(04-17-2014, 02:51 AM)Battle Kat Wrote: As whether putting them back with the original name, or creating a new version, I'll leave that to you decide.

Maybe saving them over the originals would be the way to go...? To KISS it?

I'd write over the original, making an additional version doesn't make sense, either it's broken or it isn't and if it is, who'd want to play the broken version if they had a choice? I suppose you could update the scenario description, to say it includes the "fix"?

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email