• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Where to start with HPS Napoleonics?
03-11-2014, 10:37 AM,
Where to start with HPS Napoleonics?
I've just about worked out that Black Powder is some sort of reference to, or includes, the HPS Napoleonic games (I think). Looking at the HPS site, there are a quite a lot of (not cheap) games in the series.

If I wanted to find a reasonable selection of ladder opponents, which of the Napoleonic series should I get?

Thanks.

David
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2014, 10:50 AM,
RE: Where to start with HPS Napoleonics?
Yes, you are correct in that the NAP series is part of the Black Powder and Cold Steel Ladder.

If you are planning on getting the Digital Download (DD) version of the games I would suggest you get it from the JTS store.

http://john-tiller-software.myshopify.co...ic-battles

As for which titles are the most popular, that is a hard one as everyone has their own favorites, for one reason or another.

I own all nine titles and my two favorites happen to be Waterloo and Leipzig.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you have about the series. Smile
03-11-2014, 05:13 PM,
Waterloo
Send this user an email
03-11-2014, 09:42 PM,
I'd say Waterloo or Leipzig but you should be able to find opponents for any of them if one suits your fancy more.
03-12-2014, 08:07 PM,
Yes I'd say Waterloo or Leipzig. Eckmuhl is also quite popular. And Napoleon's Russian Campaign is soon to be updated.
03-31-2014, 07:45 PM,
A small PBEM game is great way to start, let me know if you are interested
04-01-2014, 04:40 AM,
(03-11-2014, 10:37 AM)David G Wrote: I've just about worked out that Black Powder is some sort of reference to, or includes, the HPS Napoleonic games (I think). Looking at the HPS site, there are a quite a lot of (not cheap) games in the series.

If I wanted to find a reasonable selection of ladder opponents, which of the Napoleonic series should I get?

Thanks.

David

Waterloo or Eckmuhl have the most variety in scenario choices. I prefer Eckmuhl as a starter. Let me know if you want a practice game in either (no score) to test your understanding of the mechanics and to try out your tactics.
04-01-2014, 05:01 AM,
I am a big fan of Eckmuhl, but, as a former playtester for Austerlitz and 1814, I would be remiss to not direct you to the johntillersoftware.com site for his new games. My favorites are Leipzig (most battles of any of the games, good campaigns, etc), and Eckmuhl. Waterloo is good and has the three battles from the campaign plus a variety of options. Austerlitz is also good with a ton of content (more than Waterloo or Eckmuhl)....All of them are good games and there are no duds.