• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

City scenarios?
03-07-2014, 02:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-07-2014, 02:17 PM by Wodin.)
City scenarios?
Just wondering are there any City scenarios? Want to see how it plays with regards to City fighting..That way I know if it will ever be able to do Stalingrad..The boardgame Streets of Stalingrad is near the same scale and I've wanted a PC game that plays similar i.e can do City fighting.

Edit: Just looked at the big map and it seems most urban areas are village hex and the bigger ones go upto town so I o presume with don't have a city hex in game. Oh well never mind.
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2014, 05:37 PM,
RE: City scenarios?
(03-07-2014, 02:09 PM)Wodin Wrote: Just wondering are there any City scenarios? Want to see how it plays with regards to City fighting..That way I know if it will ever be able to do Stalingrad..The boardgame Streets of Stalingrad is near the same scale and I've wanted a PC game that plays similar i.e can do City fighting.

Edit: Just looked at the big map and it seems most urban areas are village hex and the bigger ones go upto town so I o presume with don't have a city hex in game. Oh well never mind.

Wodin,

We're testing 'generic' city fighting for future potential titles....

David
03-07-2014, 08:08 PM,
Excellent!! Hope it works. Might need some new mechanics etc..but thats the beauty of JT games they keep getting improved each release.

(03-07-2014, 05:37 PM)Strela Wrote:
(03-07-2014, 02:09 PM)Wodin Wrote: Just wondering are there any City scenarios? Want to see how it plays with regards to City fighting..That way I know if it will ever be able to do Stalingrad..The boardgame Streets of Stalingrad is near the same scale and I've wanted a PC game that plays similar i.e can do City fighting.

Wodin,

We're testing 'generic' city fighting for future potential titles....

David
Send this user an email
03-07-2014, 11:49 PM,
Nice, for me is the weak point in Tiller games, lack of a good urban fight model, this open an interesting number of scenarios, i think a serie of good titles for PzB in urban terrain hehehe.

Lets see how it works.
03-08-2014, 02:34 AM,
With hex types usually giving some sort of numerical defensive benefit, "real" city fighting is difficult to create in an operational or strategic wargame, but I'm looking forward to seeing how the series will handle it.
03-08-2014, 08:02 AM,
(03-08-2014, 02:34 AM)ComradeP Wrote: With hex types usually giving some sort of numerical defensive benefit, "real" city fighting is difficult to create in an operational or strategic wargame, but I'm looking forward to seeing how the series will handle it.

there would be a bunch of new rules added or else it couldnt happen
Rangers Lead the Way
03-08-2014, 12:55 PM,
With improved maps and rules for multilevel buildings and such and the focus like PBs on a specific battle, SBs could also be reinvented. How cool would that be to have all the scenarios for a specific battle like Hue for instance and a large overall scenario for the whole thing. Never say never.
03-08-2014, 08:21 PM,
I think that a more abstract solution is better... in the end urban combat is a "very close" combat, for me add a way to simulate this is enough, you know, have in same hex units from diferent sides that stay all the time in a melee status (cant recover fatigue and all the time suffer loses where morale is very important to stand) apart this could be used in "future" fronts (and not only in PzB serie) think for example in the use of this rule as japanese to launch infiltration attacks. The idea is not remove assault, is complete it with a less agresive attack more to win the hex using time and less brute force.

Is very rare see wargames where units fight in same hex specially more than 1 turn.
03-08-2014, 10:04 PM,
A much requested feature for SB that will never happen. JT is unwilling to make any major changes as he thinks it wont increase sales. I disagree though.

(03-08-2014, 12:55 PM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: With improved maps and rules for multilevel buildings and such and the focus like PBs on a specific battle, SBs could also be reinvented. How cool would that be to have all the scenarios for a specific battle like Hue for instance and a large overall scenario for the whole thing. Never say never.
Send this user an email
03-09-2014, 05:26 AM,
(03-08-2014, 10:04 PM)Wodin Wrote: A much requested feature for SB that will never happen. JT is unwilling to make any major changes as he thinks it wont increase sales. I disagree though.

(03-08-2014, 12:55 PM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: With improved maps and rules for multilevel buildings and such and the focus like PBs on a specific battle, SBs could also be reinvented. How cool would that be to have all the scenarios for a specific battle like Hue for instance and a large overall scenario for the whole thing. Never say never.

Since no scenarios exist for older SB games that would have this new feature utilized, he is probably more right than wrong in terms of thinking that it would not increase sales of older titles, given the cost of updating them all.

Given the level of scenario design we've seen in the last 5 years from folks not on the design team, I wouldn't expect to see a flood of new things coming out even with new engine changes.

After being in this business as long as he has, I'd bet that Tiller has a pretty good feel for what would bring a good return on investment.