• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Gertsovka - bunker/minefield spoilers
03-05-2014, 06:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-05-2014, 06:16 PM by ComradeP.)
Gertsovka - bunker/minefield spoilers
Spoilers concerning some bunker and minefield positions.

I've just finished two games of Gertsovka, both were Soviet major victories. I hope my opponents won't mind me posting the results and final unit dispositions.

I was, as the Germans, hoping for a draw against Outlaw Josey Wales, but the loss of a Stuka cost me points and assault rolls that didn't cut it prevented me from capturing the 10 point objective and the other ones. My guns and the Flak halftracks are still at their starting point, I didn't want to risk them. The mortars are with the HQ. I moved my men back from the 10 point objective to limit the damage the Soviets could do on the final turn.

[Image: ta4k.jpg]

I had expected either a minor or major victory as the Soviets against Dog Soldier, depending on his assault rolls. In the end, he couldn't take any of the objectives with bunkers in them as the defenders in the first bunker he was attacking fought until the last man, with a few men holding out. We both had some amusing bad luck: when I switched my mortars to T mode, they were immediately interdicted and 4 were lost. Dog Soldier lost a Stuka on the final turn.

[Image: 8dz4.jpg]

A suggestion for balance:

-Increase VP values (and rebalance points required to win along with it) to 50/100 per objective to counter the points from guns, vehicles and aircraft deciding the game. If the German player loses a single Stuka, he has essentially lost in most cases.

I'm not really sure how the German player can get reliable results against bunkers here. The defending Soviet force is about the same size as the attacking German force in men, and the Pionier platoons quickly become B quality.

With few weapons with a decent to good hard attack value and artillery that isn't good against bunkers (which by itself is fine in my opinion), it's difficult to remove the Soviets from bunkers provided the Soviet player stacks numerous units in a hex to reduce the chance of the stack being entirely disrupted.
Quote this message in a reply