• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

File Cosistencey - Checksum
03-04-2014, 11:53 AM,
Help  File Cosistencey - Checksum
Hi All,

John Tiller has implemented 'checksum testing' to ensure players are using the same files when playing PBEM. This is more about validating files rather than 'catching cheats'.

Currently in encrypted PBEM, the game checks several files to ensure that both players are using the same version:
• Map File
• OOB File
• PDT File
• Data Files

So if one player has modified one of these files but not the other player, or if one player has updated their version (in a future update) but the other player hasn't yet, then messages will appear alerting the players to this disconnect.

The user here should check with their opponent to see if any changes were made to the files above. Graphics files are not checked and can be changed without triggering this check.

We are hearing people are starting to see these messages.

If you are involved in a game where these messages are appearing can you please post in this thread.

We'd like to know; are you using a clean install (no changes), when you turned encryption on (was it before the game was started or while underway?), has any changes been made such as graphics etc. Ideally we would like this info for both players in a game.

The above will allow us to start debugging the routine. We did see some of these messages during testing, but with regular development updates we expected some variations to files etc and we had ignored them to date.

Thanks,

David
Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2014, 12:25 PM,
RE: File Cosistencey - Checksum
David

This may be in response to Compass Rose and my game. Chad mentioned that he had seen several error messages during his turn. I didn't see any. I have a clean install. I believe, although I am not sure, he may have changed the terrain box on his install. I didn't turn on encryption when I started the game, but I believe Chad did as I had to input a password my next turn. Hope this is what you are looking for and if I got any of Chad's info wrong, I am sure he will correct me.

Jeff
03-04-2014, 01:06 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-04-2014, 01:12 PM by Compass Rose.)
Jeff's info is correct.

We are playing #0706_05 Pokrovka - Man vs. Tank as the Russians.

Germans have the 1st turn. After watching my opponents 1st turn replay, I received the following dialog windows.

[Image: 0ee26fb33fScenario%20Map.jpg]
[Image: fee7e9bdcfOOB.jpg]
[Image: dbfdf518bfPDT.jpg]
[Image: 4c80e1aa4eNation%20dat.jpg]

After these appeared, one after the other, I then received the Russian Command Report and was able to start my 1st turn.

I am using JSGME to handle all of my unit/graphic changes.

https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=65299

All of the graphics I am using came included in the game except I am using a SS flag from the VolcanoMan PzC Kursk art mod. I also edited the PzB Kursk TerrainH and TerrainV files so the black portion is all solid black, not having a swirl pattern.

As a side note, To get the screen shots, I just reloaded the 1st turn file however, this time I did not watch the replay and the checksum messages did appear again.
03-04-2014, 09:58 PM,
Ummm maybe the data files need be out of the checksum, for example if you have custom scenarios or if you change a bmp file.

Checksum for me needs only control critical files like map, scen, pdt and OOB, the idea is only check this, even more, you can check only scenarios and the files used in the scenario, you know, the PBEM file refer to a scenario that refer to a map+OOB+PDT.

In my case i change the colours in the symbols file for IP, trench, bunker and pillboxes and well, the original file is in the same folder with xxx2dsymbols.bmp and as you say in a PBEM i could have the same message.