• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Gertsovka The Cornerstone
03-11-2014, 12:01 PM,
RE: Gertsovka The Cornerstone
it's best to ask on the main board. You'll get an answer faster Helmet Smile
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
Quote this message in a reply
03-11-2014, 01:27 PM,
Russian Turn Eight
20:30 4 July 1943, Normal Conditions, Day, Visibility 3Km (12 Hexes)

German assaults on the twin railroad embankment bunkers cause significant Russian casualties. The Russians hold their positions, for now. Next turn should see them swept away. This is what the Russians do at Kursk. They will lose many units. The delay bought by those sacrifices along with wearing down the Germans brought the ultimate victory in the battle. Tenacious defense of prepared positions won the day in the long run for the Russian historically. The same will win for a Russian player in the Panzer Battles Kursk: The Southern Front game.

Russian artillery concentrates on the German infantry just south of the German engineers. Direct fire from the Russian infantry is made on the German engineers resulting in the decimation of one platoon and the destruction of another.

Dog Soldier
[Image: 019757bb2fST8%20loaded.JPG]
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
03-11-2014, 01:48 PM,
Russian Turn Nine
21:00 4 July 1943, Normal Conditions, Day, Visibility 3Km (12 Hexes)

The Germans crush the Russian defenders of the left side twin bunkers on the railroad embankment. The German artillery begins to rain down on the defense. The Russian respond by eliminating another engineer platoon and disrupting the last remaining German engineer platoon. Russian artillery is now directed against the German infantry outside the village.

Dog Soldier
[Image: 036c0231c0ST9%20loaded.JPG]

The Germans have had a tough time getting into the village. Those dead in the embankment bunkers are now heroes of the Soviet Union.
[Image: cc59935de1ST9%20VC.JPG]
- Wyatt Earp
03-11-2014, 10:09 PM,
Turn 9

Getting my units in position around the vp hex. it will be a close thing if I even capture it.

[Image: da58e92c4eT9.jpg]
War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want.William Tecumseh Sherman
03-14-2014, 03:05 PM,
Russian Turn Nine
21:00 4 July 1943, Normal Conditions, Day, Visibility 3Km (12 Hexes)

The Germans crush the Russian defenders of the left side twin bunkers on the railroad embankment. The German artillery begins to rain down on the defense. The Russian respond by eliminating another engineer platoon and disrupting the last remaining German engineer platoon. Russian artillery is now directed against the German infantry outside the village.

Dog Soldier

[Image: 036c0231c0ST9%20loaded.JPG]
- Wyatt Earp
03-17-2014, 09:52 AM,
Many thanks for the DAR, i have been thinking about getting this game as my copy of CS no longer seems to work, i have to say from reading this i expect to buy it in the next day or two!
Looks just what i've been after. :-)

TTFN
03-28-2014, 10:01 PM,
Turn 10 Germans.

As you can see I wasn't able to capture the first objective hex so my Germans ended the game with a Major Defeat.

[Image: T10.jpg]
03-29-2014, 02:14 PM,
Russian Turn Ten
21:30 4 July 1943, Normal Conditions, Day, Visibility 3Km (12 Hexes)

The game ends with the Germans still struggling against the Russian bunker on the southern out skirts of the village. The German engineers, a prime target in any Battles of Kursk - Southern Front game, are decimated in completing their mission to remove the mines and allow the infantry to come to grips with the Russian defenders. The slow pace of initial the German advance over open ground to the village of Gertsovka, did keep casualties at a minimum. Time though became an enemy as this allowed the Russian defense to reorganize to meet the attack.

#0704_01a Gertsovka: The Cornerstone is a good exercise against the AI to learn the mechanics of the game. You will be able to develop tactics to bust bunkers as the Germans or defend as the Russians with the AI. Against a human opponent, it is much more difficult with the time constraint to develop a German attack that is fast enough to get into the village and disrupt a Russian defense. The Germans will take heavy casualties in doing so. While it is my experience the Russian garrison can be decimated and many of the victory locations taken in the ten turns allotted, German casualties will be high enough to cause this to be a major victory for the Russians in every case.

Dog Soldier
[Image: ST10%20end.JPG]
[Image: ST10%20end%20VC.JPG]
- Wyatt Earp