• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Which First Game...
03-03-2014, 01:19 AM,
RE: Which First Game...
Out of the three SB nam titles (Vietnam, Tour of Duty, Dien Bin Phu) would you guys say the DBP is the best SB title to cover that war since it plays differently? If I recall, DBP was developed using a very updated and polished build however, Vietnam and Tour of Duty were designed and released very early in the series history, using older builds?

Thanks
Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2014, 01:53 AM,
(03-03-2014, 01:19 AM)Compass Rose Wrote: Out of the three SB nam titles (Vietnam, Tour of Duty, Dien Bin Phu) would you guys say the DBP is the best SB title to cover that war since it plays differently? If I recall, DBP was developed using a very updated and polished build however, Vietnam and Tour of Duty were designed and released very early in the series history, using older builds?

Thanks

Two separate wars but DBP is my favorite of the period. A lot of different scenarios and different vehicles and weapons. And lets not forget human waves of VC. I found it fun to command both sides Soap Box
03-03-2014, 03:29 AM,
DBP rocks! Has a few larger scenarios, the ambush of GM100 set is especially good. Of course, as always, I wish we could get larger, longer scenarios in all the titles I play.
03-03-2014, 04:06 AM,
DBP is an under-appreciated masterpiece as far as I'm concerned. What Mike did in that game was nothing short of stellar. It has such a different feel to it than the other games.

You'd think that it would be all mud, trench warfare and a slug-fest that would be less than fun to play. It is all of those first three things, but the playability is simply great. You can feel the frustration of wanting to cross the open field to get to the trench-line, but taking so long due to the conditions and the enemy hammering at you, then when you get there the enemy is ready and waiting.

It's great, and it will really give you an appreciation for just how hard the fighting was.

As CR said, it does have the advantage of having more current builds when it was in development, but VN and TOD are still good games. Do I wish they could be developed today rather than first? Yes, for a variety of reasons, but they are still solid games that give a wide-range of scenario types.
03-03-2014, 08:40 AM,
I agree with everyone regarding DBP. But just like to note that the "House to House" scenarios for TOD bring the newer features of the SB system to this sturdy old classic.
03-04-2014, 12:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-04-2014, 12:44 AM by SLudwig.)
(02-28-2014, 10:07 AM)fastphil Wrote: One I am disappointed that it never got mentioned. Dien Bin Phou
Although I can not dispute RV. Soviet Afghan war has some merit.
Since I own them all and have played through VN, TOD, ES, PW, P&F, Korea, AOTR and played many of the others here and in the old MBC and PZC. You pick a title and I guarantee you'll always find opponents Jester me, Ed, Dennis and quite a few others just to name a few. I have series replays currently in AOTR, RV, ES, and PW.LOL

Phil,

Thanks....I haven't picked one up yet, but I am seeing something else you & I can play no doubt.... Big Grin

(03-01-2014, 01:09 AM)Jeff Conner Wrote: And if you still haven't made a purchase yet, you can head over to JTS Software and pick up a copy of the free demo. It doesn't have the variety of some titles and the scenarios are pretty small, but you can't beat the price. The Getting Started document is also longer and more thorough then most of the previous ones, so it would be a good idea for a new player to grab it for that reason if no other.

Jeff

Oh great Jeff, thanks! :) I was wondering if there was a demo or not....just to see if I like the series even would be nice.... Big Grin I bought an HPS Ancients game and wasn't a huge fan of it....
03-19-2014, 12:24 AM,
So how's it going with the new Squad Battles game? Which did you get? Have you tried the demo Grenada, which is a full-up game, by the way, and a pretty nice one at that!

Steve
03-19-2014, 01:11 AM,
Grenada only has 10 scenarios, but you can only do so much with Grenada to begin with. That is why it was a good choice for a demo.

What I think needs to be done is the powers that be start looking at some larger, longer scenarios working out the day-night issue so we could possible get some of the larger scenarios. Random scenario generator of country of choice vs country of choice like in SPs. Going by the scale in PBs where ther are some scenarios with a corps, then it seems we should be able to have some SBs scenarios up to div sized.

Maybe some day.
03-20-2014, 06:33 AM,
I haven't done anything yet, sadly...was traveling for a week and a $1,200 car repair bill set me back a tiny bit. But will try to download the demo this weekend....real life time issues as always.... :(