• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Which First Game...
02-26-2014, 11:12 AM,
RE: Which First Game...
Haha....we use Royal Titles in the British Army at the Colonial Campaigns Club (CCC) Big Grin Steve was telling me who he was by doing that....
Quote this message in a reply
02-26-2014, 11:15 AM,
(02-26-2014, 06:24 AM)SLudwig Wrote: Which first game would folks recommend I get?? I am not new to HPS/JTS, played EAW, ACW & Nap for over a decade, but breaking into a new genre.

Hey! I have all the titles and have enjoyed them all. I am a WWII
junkie, so to me it's Red Victory, Advance of the Reich and Eagles Strike.

Red Victory is the most refined SB title IMO. Plus there are 90 scenarios done
by Oz and all IMO are well done and play really well as PBEM.

Glad to see another person getting into SB. Smile
"Ideals are peaceful. History is violent."
02-26-2014, 02:02 PM,
Aye, you see the gruff I must suffer in this 20th Century focused community? The ability to purchase a commission is just no longer respected! Big Grin

Lots of good words of wisdom, here, and I look forward to crossing swords - no - M-1s with you.

And even though Vietnam is the First Release, and thereby somewhat considered the immature title, it has quite a number of nice, smallish engagements with which to cut your teeth.

Ed, if he is not your opponent in other series, is a most entertaining foe. Never know what he'll do next. If you can get Jeff to help as an Instructor, he is excellent. Kolc and Landser have both been patient mentors with me, though they spank the hell outta me like a left-handed stepchild!

My favorite advice, and that which most helped me to transition from EAW to SqB which employs much more ranged weapons and in which LOS/LOF is absolutely critical to understand ............. get your first title and play a few games solitaire in the "hotseat" mode, i.e. playing both sides with FOW "ON". This will help you come to grips with spotting/concealment, ranged fire, automatic defensive fire, and the "feel" for a tactical game with weapons that have ranges well in excess of the standard 2D close view of the map. I typically play in view mode of hotkey "1" and only zoom in to hotkey "2" with small map sizes.

Develop the habit of watching the replays of PBEM games - much more valuable here than in EAW. Get a "feel" for the abstraction of weapons effectiveness, and realize that it is an abstraction. Watch your leaders, and try to take your time if on the advance. Plan to use ALL of the allotted time to achieve your objectives.

You will have fun, but unless you have little interest in squad level combat, be ready for Squad Battles to "take over" your gaming interest.

Steve
02-26-2014, 03:52 PM,
Red Victory.......... Accept no substitutes

As for royalty I'm sure we have had the occasional drama queen Wink[/i]
244 games with legend that is Richie61
02-27-2014, 12:04 AM,
I don't think I am going too far out on a limb when I say that Ozgur is the best scenario designer on the SB team. His titles include Soviet-Afghan War, Winter War and Red Victory. But it's hard to go too far wrong with any of the titles. I think the advice of go with what you enjoy is probably the best. And if you would like a training game to get started, drop me a line, I'll talk you through a game.

Jeff
02-27-2014, 11:09 AM,
All very helpful advice. I am starting to see a pattern and think I'll start with Red Victory and see how it goes.

Also thanks again Steve for the suggestions & input on tactics & learning. You know full well what world I am coming from and what I am used to in the Black Powder series. Big Grin
02-28-2014, 10:07 AM,
One I am disappointed that it never got mentioned. Dien Bin Phou
Although I can not dispute RV. Soviet Afghan war has some merit.
Since I own them all and have played through VN, TOD, ES, PW, P&F, Korea, AOTR and played many of the others here and in the old MBC and PZC. You pick a title and I guarantee you'll always find opponents Jester me, Ed, Dennis and quite a few others just to name a few. I have series replays currently in AOTR, RV, ES, and PW.LOL
02-28-2014, 08:52 PM,
DBP and SAW do get overlooked a lot, which is a shame as they are good games and highlight the overall variety the entire SB series brings to wargaming.
03-01-2014, 01:09 AM,
And if you still haven't made a purchase yet, you can head over to JTS Software and pick up a copy of the free demo. It doesn't have the variety of some titles and the scenarios are pretty small, but you can't beat the price. The Getting Started document is also longer and more thorough then most of the previous ones, so it would be a good idea for a new player to grab it for that reason if no other.

Jeff
03-03-2014, 12:39 AM,
DBP shouldn't be forgotten. A fascinating war, and some really good scenarios that push the engine. It also has the Foreign Legion. :)

I'm a hussar, I'm a Hun,  I'm a wretched Englishman
Routing Bonaparte at Waterloo
I'm a dragoon on a dun, I'm a Cossack on the run
I'm a horse soldier, timeless, through and through

Corb Lund - Horse Soldier, Horse Soldier