• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Mi-8...Jacob's ladder..how to use?
02-25-2014, 05:10 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-25-2014, 05:18 AM by HirooOnoda.)
Mi-8...Jacob's ladder..how to use?
Can't find it in the rules where Helicopters can't land in certain hexes (rough, broken or rocks?).

Yet, I see my Hips have "Jacob's Ladder". Does this allow them to hover and not land, thus allowing me into certain hexes I can't land in?

Thanks!

Okay, I found the rule, but it didn't work. The cost is 1/2 the cost of the infantry's movement. The infantry start the turn with 24 movement points, I flew to a point where the infantry had 15 points left, and when I went to unload it said,"Movement points exceeded". I had over 56 points left on the Hip.

What am I missing?
Quote this message in a reply
02-25-2014, 05:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-25-2014, 05:55 AM by TheBigRedOne.)
RE: Mi-8...Jacob's ladder..how to use?
Actually, that was for a single rope. This was for a ladder:

[Image: 121b86b1b6Capture.JPG]

As well as:

Quote:When either ropes or ladders are used and the Hovering Helicopters Optional Rule is in effect, the helicopter becomes Hovering.

Basically you have to fly to a location you want to drop your troops off, hang there during the opponents turn and hope the Muj aren't pointing a DShK or RPG at you in the meantime.
02-25-2014, 09:48 AM,
(02-25-2014, 05:47 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: Actually, that was for a single rope. This was for a ladder:

As well as:

Quote:When either ropes or ladders are used and the Hovering Helicopters Optional Rule is in effect, the helicopter becomes Hovering.

Basically you have to fly to a location you want to drop your troops off, hang there during the opponents turn and hope the Muj aren't pointing a DShK or RPG at you in the meantime.

THank you for the clarification, but to spend an enemy turn waiting for my opportunity to ladder them down is suicidal.

Not a well worded rule. They said nothing about being able to do it only from the begining of the turn.
02-25-2014, 08:44 PM,
(02-25-2014, 05:47 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: Basically you have to fly to a location you want to drop your troops off, hang there during the opponents turn and hope the Muj aren't pointing a DShK or RPG at you in the meantime.
Roger that....been on the wrong end of those flapping in the wind...
02-25-2014, 11:34 PM,
(02-25-2014, 09:48 AM)HirooOnoda Wrote:
(02-25-2014, 05:47 AM)TheBigRedOne Wrote: Actually, that was for a single rope. This was for a ladder:

As well as:

THank you for the clarification, but to spend an enemy turn waiting for my opportunity to ladder them down is suicidal.

Not a well worded rule. They said nothing about being able to do it only from the begining of the turn.

Not directly, but by saying it requires the infantry's full movement points, that's pretty much what it's telling you.

Think about the mechanics of situation. Each turn is 5 minutes in length. The time it takes to come to a stable hover, drop the ladder and have an entire squad climb down the ladder, would probably cover that entire time-span. It's not a fast-rope. I don't think it's that unrealistic, and probably why a rope only requires half the time because it would be faster to slide down a rope than to climb down a ladder.

This type of unloading is the highest risk, which carries some pretty tough consequences.