• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

ME 67 Volcano Mod question
02-22-2014, 01:13 AM,
RE: ME 67 Volcano Mod question
An interesting idea, although it sounds like it might be complex to implement a variable line of site.

My experience with WWII games is that its fairly common to treat Clear/Open terrain as causing units to be much more vulnerable to fire. This makes perfect sense. Of course, in the real world, my impression is that totally flat terrain is rare. Even in what appears to be open terrain, slight changes in the topography can provide concealment, cover, etc, that might not even be apparent to the naked eye. However, clear terrain is much less effective than other types of cover, so I have no issue with a 0% modifier.

I have little to no knowledge of the terrain in North Africa and the Levant, but if the open/desert hexes are as flat and featureless as say, Kansas, Volcano Man's +20% modifier seems appropriate. However, a smoke and dust-filled battlefield might negate this vulnerability. To me, it seems that we need to ask how often smoke and dust significantly impacted visibility. Even if this is the case, then the question is whether the "dice rolls" incorporate these factors (i.e., one could conceptualize a "no result" or "1 man" fire attack as having been affected by visibility)

At this point I have three titles (K '42, Salerno '43, and ME '67). I have been very pleased at how flexible the system is. Each title has a distinct feel appropriate to the time, setting, and situation-- and the players have to adjust their tactics accordingly.

Having spent more time browsing the forum archives than I'd care to admit, I know these sort of discussions occur frequently. Obviously, every one has their own opinion, and you can't please everyone. To me, the real value (other than the improvements that come out of them) of these discussions is in revealing the finer points of how the game works, which isn't always apparent on first glance. There is a lot going on "under the hood," so to speak.

So, I ask again-- anyone up for a game?
Quote this message in a reply
02-22-2014, 06:02 AM,
I have all three of those. Pick what you want and send away. I will play with anything except locking zoc. Any scenario/size/side, balanced, unbalanced no matter.

My email is [email protected]
02-24-2014, 05:01 AM,
(02-22-2014, 01:13 AM)Many Mariuses Wrote: An interesting idea, although it sounds like it might be complex to implement a variable line of site.

You have this correct. Variable anything, movement, LOS, etc. is very hard because of the variability. Variable movement was experimented with a long time ago. The realism of the idea was sound. Units did not always end up where the commander ordered them to go in real life, for example.

The problem comes when players think the variability is a bug. It is difficult for PC gamers to know it is a feature and not a bug.

So, variability of this sort, while desirable for realism is beyond the scope of current gaming design in the PzC world.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
02-24-2014, 06:33 AM,
(02-24-2014, 05:01 AM)Dog Soldier Wrote: ... Variable movement was experimented with a long time ago. The realism of the idea was sound. Units did not always end up where the commander ordered them to go in real life, for example.

The problem comes when players think the variability is a bug. It is difficult for PC gamers to know it is a feature and not a bug.

Dog Soldier
DS, was this actually tried? I suggested it to Glenn a LONG time ago, and he gave the reason you give as a big reason for why it probably wouldn't be accepted, and may have even gone to JT on it, although I don't remember. But I don't think it was ever tried, or experimented with???

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
03-02-2014, 04:12 AM,
One could say that the Night Disruption and loss of MPs due to interdiction when in travel mode or when disrupted by enemy fire is a form of variable movement. But having variable movement is a very bad idea in a turn based "hex and counter" game, because the necessary degree of abstraction is absent (whereas it would be, and is, possible in a game such as Steel Beasts). One of the factors that makes these games fun, is how units respond to orders (within limits of course). Instituting variable movement in a game where hexes are 1-1.6 kilometers wide and a turn is multiple hours would turn the game from being fun into being an exercise in frustration (which might of course be realistic, but would also make the game unplayable).
Send this user an email