• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

JTCS v2.0 — Likes and Dislikes
03-02-2014, 05:16 AM,
RE: JTCS v2.0 — Likes and Dislikes
(03-01-2014, 07:04 PM)David G Wrote:
(03-01-2014, 03:45 PM)USS Wyoming Wrote: It seems the universal complaint is the small buttons. It would be nice if they were a bit bigger, but how many of you won't have them memorized in about a week? Get out there and buy a bigger monitor-it's good for the economy and easier on the eyes. Better sounds, better animations, better highlight colors, not bigger-but better buttons, better arty results(?), better than before and; if you like the before you can have that too.
Let's get to playing and make sure we help identify any real game play bugs. Whip

- I have a 23 inch monitor, and even if I had an older monitor, there is no reason why someone should need to upgrade for this sort of game.
- Not sure how easy it will be to memorise the buttons - I can't even see what's on some of them (though I guess I will think "2 in from right/left" etc.)
- Trying to be objective, I fired up Microsoft Word to look at their button size, and discovered that the JTCS ones are a bit smaller than many on MS Word, but the more significant difference might be the clarity of what is displayed on them. E.g. the "Bold" "B" button in MS Word isn't enormous but it is very clear. Ditto the "CS" button on the top of this web page. So bigger OR clearer buttons?

Anyway you're right, there is plenty of positive stuff on this patch, it's just those buttons are in use a lot...

Maybe an enterprising modder can improve the graphic on the buttons ,and leave them the size they are. Solving everything, and maybe the graphic can't be changed.
Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2014, 06:17 AM,
I made the icons by request for the new toolbar. For all you who don't work with graphics, these are made up with pixels, that's what we are stuck with, each button is composed of 22x22 pixels, not a whole lot to work with, sorry. We will see what we can do to simplify. As far as I know, I am the only enterprising modder, or at least the only one that does much graphics anymore, I do the best I can.
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
03-02-2014, 06:30 AM,
(03-02-2014, 03:12 AM)Otto von Blotto Wrote: ^ +1 the editors by definition have to have a lot more easily accessible functionality than the standard game screens.

Why such a limited thing as banzai attack is on the main screen for every game that doesn't even use those rules is beyond me.

I was ok to let it ride and get used to it over time but some of the responses both here and on matrix to genuine concerns expressed by the customers and players of this game have annoyed me a bit over the last couple of days.

Exactly, and some of the arguments put forward (like comparing toolbars from other games, most of them with less icons anyway) is disingenuous at best.
The overall work done by the modders is obviously great, but the toolbar thing is a deal breaker for me.
03-02-2014, 08:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-02-2014, 08:18 AM by David G.)
To clarify: I've no real problem with the buttons been re-ordered or added to, and I don't mind re-learning them. Kind of like when word processors get updated. It's just that I can't make out the graphic on many of the icons. The Unit Handbook, Show Command Range and Toggle Contours, for example, look pretty close to white squares. But Highlight Disrupted Units, Highlight Fixed Units and Turn Clockwise/Counter Clockwise are very clear. I'm using the tool tip on the unclear ones. So just simplifying the graphic may be enough (though my preference would still be for larger). (For info: 1920 x 1080 resolution, 23" screen, Windows 7)

On the 'like' side of the viewability issue, by bases staying on I can now actually see my infantry being attacked by my opponent.

On the backup file issue, OPTIONAL features are rarely a problem so maybe all that's gone wrong is that the default should have been to "off", rather than "on"? (Or if it is "on" maybe put them in a different folder?) I've not had a corrupted file but in PBEM at least there is a backup on e-mail / the other person's computer if it was needed?

Still a fan of the patch, just need to re-draw or re-size some of those icons.
03-02-2014, 10:15 AM,
[/quote]

What's up? Maybe I can help?

Jason Petho
[/quote]

I guess there is no help for me. I am just an old commodore 64 user that is not up to date with what the club is doing and where it is heading. I guess I just don't enjoy the CS thing anymore as I rarely play. So bottom line it's just not worth it to hunt up the old disk and do installs and updates or jump thru any hoops.
Yes, I am a dinosaur but, actually I like being a dinosaur as there aren't many of us left. Kinda makes me feel.......UNIQUE.

VE
03-02-2014, 10:28 AM,
(03-02-2014, 10:15 AM)Von Earlmann Wrote: I guess there is no help for me. I am just an old commodore 64 user that is not up to date with what the club is doing and where it is heading. I guess I just don't enjoy the CS thing anymore as I rarely play. So bottom line it's just not worth it to hunt up the old disk and do installs and updates or jump thru any hoops.
Yes, I am a dinosaur but, actually I like being a dinosaur as there aren't many of us left. Kinda makes me feel.......UNIQUE.

If you're using XP, the game will still function just fine and dandy.

Jason Petho
Send this user an email
03-02-2014, 10:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-02-2014, 10:47 AM by Warhorse.)
@ Von Earlman-Seriously, gonna give up? Come on man, let us help you, stay with it, you've also put a hell of a lot of your time into this game as well! What do you need?

(03-02-2014, 08:15 AM)David G Wrote: To clarify: I've no real problem with the buttons been re-ordered or added to, and I don't mind re-learning them. Kind of like when word processors get updated. It's just that I can't make out the graphic on many of the icons. The Unit Handbook, Show Command Range and Toggle Contours, for example, look pretty close to white squares. But Highlight Disrupted Units, Highlight Fixed Units and Turn Clockwise/Counter Clockwise are very clear. I'm using the tool tip on the unclear ones. So just simplifying the graphic may be enough (though my preference would still be for larger). (For info: 1920 x 1080 resolution, 23" screen, Windows 7)

On the 'like' side of the viewability issue, by bases staying on I can now actually see my infantry being attacked by my opponent.

On the backup file issue, OPTIONAL features are rarely a problem so maybe all that's gone wrong is that the default should have been to "off", rather than "on"? (Or if it is "on" maybe put them in a different folder?) I've not had a corrupted file but in PBEM at least there is a backup on e-mail / the other person's computer if it was needed?

Still a fan of the patch, just need to re-draw or re-size some of those icons.

@ David G-Hey man, thanks for your input, I'm to begin tomorrow on a revised option, sorry I couldn't have been more clear with the icons at the bottom! At 52 my eyes aren't getting any better either, the icons are ok to me, but that is just me, working on it, don't fret!
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/
03-02-2014, 02:43 PM,
(03-02-2014, 06:17 AM)Warhorse Wrote: I made the icons by request for the new toolbar. For all you who don't work with graphics, these are made up with pixels, that's what we are stuck with, each button is composed of 22x22 pixels, not a whole lot to work with, sorry. We will see what we can do to simplify. As far as I know, I am the only enterprising modder, or at least the only one that does much graphics anymore, I do the best I can.

I'm already getting used to the icons, but as an example:
Visible hexes=binocular icon or eyeball.
Digging in= shovel.

I think everyone will adjust to them as they are in short order and I think it would be hard to come up with better icons in most cases. I wouldn't lose any sleep conjuring up something new because they are new.
03-02-2014, 05:53 PM,
(03-01-2014, 07:30 PM)Battle Kat Wrote: We're working on them...

... and give you: The Classic Toolbar option. LINK
Visit us at CSLegion.com
03-02-2014, 06:06 PM,
(03-02-2014, 05:53 PM)Battle Kat Wrote:
(03-01-2014, 07:30 PM)Battle Kat Wrote: We're working on them...

... and give you: The Classic Toolbar option. LINK

And for that simple thing, I applaud you. Helmet Smile