• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

JTCS v2.0 — Likes and Dislikes
02-25-2014, 03:03 AM,
RE: JTCS v2.0 — Likes and Dislikes
(02-24-2014, 07:53 PM)berto Wrote:
(02-24-2014, 12:18 PM)Outlaw Josey Wales Wrote: Possible, maybe some of those icons don't need to be there like hex outlines, next and previous units and top and bottom, which really only serves 2D, IMO. There may be a couple more, just going off memory right now. If space is needed, these would be worth killing. Or maybe make a post with a list of the icons for people to click the ones they use and would use to guage any changes. I think that might be a big help for ya'll.

I raised this issue in the public fora, and every toolbar icon was spoken for. There was no button that everybody agreed was useless, except perhaps for the A/I toggle. Which was removed, despite my having use for it.)

The buttons you mention. Others and I make use of them. And "which really only serves 2D"? Some of us prefer 2D (at least some of the time, and especially with a proposed larger zoom-in mode).

The issue of which toolbar buttons to retain -- the issue is settled. What's open for debate is whether to make toolbar buttons larger. The resolution: a larger toolbar will be offered as a toggled option, in future releases and future games.

Fair enough. What about considering the possible rearrangement I mentioned earlier about the smoke and stuff? Mind you, anything I toss out there are suggestions/ideas only, not demands. Ya'll are the ones that do the work, you know what can be done without much trouble or if it is worth the trouble. I do think those are worth a look at the icons being moved to the bottom row next to the turn indicator. You still have the icon, number available and more space above for the future if needed.

Thanks for looking at things and responding. Also, as I mentioned, I heard there was a Middle East coming maube Jul and a Vietnam in Dec or vice versa. Looking forward to both and the ww3, especially if there would be something covering the entire world's forces like in Steel Panthers. It was cool having Israel vs Pakistan or Russia or whatever came to mind. I was going to find a Divided Ground so I could have the Vietnam mod but decided against it because of the others I heard about and will purchase.
Quote this message in a reply
02-25-2014, 05:18 AM,
(02-25-2014, 02:57 AM)Scud Wrote: Just an idea, but, concerning the bottom icons...

Microsoft/Adobe products have multiple toolbar combinations that one can add to the default or make the default. One can choose the drawing toolbar, or the animation toolbar, etc.

Sure, amazing dynamic UI possibilities -- if you're an expert, wizard Windows programmer (especially at Microsoft and are privy to all the trade secrets) -- but I am not.

Quote:Honestly, I could do nothing but program and tweak the UI endlessly, leaving no time for extending the game in other ways.

(And with this, I will likely no longer post here at The Blitz. I will continue to read and to lurk, but no longer take part in active discussion. I'm way too busy, got too many more deep tech things to do. I spend too much time in forum discussion, I have less time for programming, not to mention debugging. Jason, Mike, Petri & co. -- they can answer just about all questions here. Nothing personal, Scud! I will, however, continue responding actively at the Matrix Forum, but there too more just the deeper tech stuff. Anybody wants to raise an issue with me, do it at the Matrix Forum.)
02-25-2014, 06:32 AM,
(02-25-2014, 05:18 AM)berto Wrote: Nothing personal, Scud! I will, however, continue responding actively at the Matrix Forum, but there too more just the deeper tech stuff. Anybody wants to raise an issue with me, do it at the Matrix Forum.)

No worries, Berto. Smile

...and I didn't mean to program Microsoft stuff, just basic links to more than one toolbar. HTML 101 (but no idea how that equates to C+ or other languages).

Nonetheless, I'm quite happy with what I've played with so far.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
02-25-2014, 12:33 PM,
Then again, why not a drop down menu where a person can click next to what they want for a personalized toolbar?
02-26-2014, 03:39 AM,
Oh, that would be sweet!
02-26-2014, 07:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-26-2014, 07:24 AM by Outlaw Josey Wales.)
One difference I have noticed between EF and WF. I moved the animation speed as fast as they will go for axis and allies. In EF, all movement appears to be fast like before, in WF sometimes it goes fast and sometimes it doesn't and sometimes it would be a couple hexes at a time fast then slower.

Anybody else notice this?

Also, if someone has and active at the Matrix forums, post it over there?
02-28-2014, 07:07 AM,
Yes I definitely have. It's not that annoying but it is pretty weird.
02-28-2014, 07:14 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-28-2014, 07:19 AM by Peiper.)
Hi,

in the thread about the Hot Keys i saw to the Button D: "Opportunity Fire DialogueDialogHighlight Disrupted Units".

But i have with this button only the Highlight Disrupted Units Dialog. How can i open the Opportunity Fire Dialog?
02-28-2014, 08:03 AM,
(02-22-2014, 08:50 PM)Kool Kat Wrote: Pros:
* Windowed - Can adjust screen size and minimize
* New sound effects - Vehicle movement, direct fire, artillery, etc.
* User interface - Really Big Grin Smoke, Star shells, and Human Wave functions are on menu!
* RS - Like background song in start menu
* Automatically creates a backup .bte file for PBeM (Nice!) Smile

Cons:
* User interface - Bottom icons too small, use different graphics, and order layout changed
* Exit game and my PC screen colors turn combat green and khaki

My biggest "Con" are the small and cluttered bottom icons. IMHO it would help reduce eye strain and user confusion if only essential (most used) functions are made icons:

Increase the size and keep the following bottom icons:

First 17 icons: Move/Fire Mode - Reachable Hexes)
Highlight Organization
Rotate Map
Jump Map
Next Turn.

Move the other icons (mostly "Highlight *.*) to the pull down menu.

Result will be a larger, easier to see, and less cluttered icon menu interface.

Thankfully, there are pop-up labels when I roll my cursor over the icons or I would not be able to distinguish their function! Smile

I agree with what I bolded above.
I do not need a jump map button.
I use fire/movement, dig in, next turn, highlight range, save ips for debark/fire, organization.
All the rest is crap that can be part of a drop down from the "m" top bar.

I totally disagree with Berto and was offended by the imperious attitude that "the imperial WE" are not going to make any changes because the "unwashed masses" requested so may buttons. Bovine Excreta of the highest order.

OJW wrote: "Then again, why not a drop down menu where a person can click next to what they want for a personalized toolbar?"

Maybe those with super machines will be the only ones that will like the look of the game. I am using a 32" flat screen TV as a monitor and it is way cluttered at the bottom.

I have none of the color issues.
But, I just played two PBEM games and came upon a serious issue. Why does the game change the PBEM file name and leave the original, along with an "older", and "oldest" version?
That is confusing as hell.

HSL
(Rather tame, what?)
02-28-2014, 08:11 AM,
Those are backup files, you only send the regular one!!:-)
Meine Ehre heisst Treue

http://www.cslegion.com/