• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Enterting Scenarios into the Database
02-17-2014, 01:18 AM,
Enterting Scenarios into the Database
Gents,

There have been a couple of issues over the last few months regarding entries into the Scenario Database. A few minor, a couple that will require higher level database adjustments. Nothing major.

First off, I want to thank all of you that find games that aren't already in the database and enter them in for the community. You are saving us quite a bit of work, and it is very much appreciated.

However...

The database has been around for a long time, and there are inconsistencies with the naming, scenario designer and the like. If you want to enter a game into the database do a couple of things before you enter it in. First and foremost look up and down that particular game's database for that game, potentially named in a different manner. This happened recently, and it was an honest mistake by the person putting the game in. It's always best to enter the name the way it reads in the actual game. Also, try not to put any strange characters or spaces at the front of the name because this screws with the sort, which also led to a duplicate entry.

[Image: e59466a36fCapture2.JPG]

That said, not every game is named this way. It gets back to the fact that it is an old database with a LOT of hands touching it over the last decade. I don't have the time, energy or inclination to go back and edit them all. I've already done a fair amount of this with the designer name. When you enter the designer name, take a look at the database and enter is exactly as it is entered with other scenarios under the same person. It makes doing the sort feature actually useful...

If you enter a game into the database that's unique or hasn't been found here or on any other board's database, go ahead and upload the game when you are entering the game. This way everyone can get a chance to play as well...New scenario are few and far between these days, finding old ones that have been out of circulation or hard to find are rare treats...

[Image: c9a1e6c4baCapture3.JPG]

Again, just take a couple of extra minutes and scout things out before putting a new scenario in. I don't want the database to be locked because I think the community works well when everyone pitches in. Again, all who enter games, much thanks.
Quote this message in a reply
02-17-2014, 02:43 AM,
RE: Enterting Scenarios into the Database
Alan

When I entered the first round of the Ardennes Christmas scenarios, I uploaded the scenario files. But you also need the OOB, Map and pdt files to be able to play. Should I zip them all together next time I do this?

Jeff
02-19-2014, 01:04 AM,
RE: Enterting Scenarios into the Database
(02-17-2014, 02:43 AM)Jeff Conner Wrote: Alan

When I entered the first round of the Ardennes Christmas scenarios, I uploaded the scenario files. But you also need the OOB, Map and pdt files to be able to play. Should I zip them all together next time I do this?

Jeff

I think that's the best way to go.