• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Game mechanism : plan an offensive
01-29-2014, 05:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-29-2014, 05:44 AM by Amnesia.)
Game mechanism : plan an offensive
Hello,

I am reaching a level where I try to use carefully each type of unit like it should be in the right way...I played for years in checking only the total amount of attack and defense points before launching the offensive on a ennemy position...
Since I started human versus in 2009, I learned many important things like :
-how to optimize the time use
-how to break a D/E/F position with bombing and art before attacking..

Today I was trying to make a brutal attack on a position I wanted to absolutly take to pass through a river..I got 40% of loses and about the same for the ennemy unit who kept the position..
So I wanted to ask you, what should I do regarding the different type of unit I have here ready to make an attack..
Here is the initial position and the material I have :
2 panzer div and 1 infantry div.
When I made my disastrous attack, I had the 2 panzer division attacking in ignoring loses, the infantry division in minimize, and I added 6 or 7 flight unit for air support, and also the 4 HQ for artillery like shown on my picture.

.jpg   plan attack-.jpg (Size: 496.39 KB / Downloads: 29)

Here is the global situation, on the top of the map :

.jpg   plan attack 2.jpg (Size: 340.14 KB / Downloads: 18)
Quote this message in a reply
01-29-2014, 09:54 PM,
RE: Game mechanism : plan an offensive
If You play with the vanilla 3.4 version then brace yourself for more of such nasty surprises.

Besides You apparently ordered an all-out assault from a single direction along a single axis of advance, no flanking and on a narrow front from a river hex with swampy terrain - I am not sure, I use the old classic map layout, it's more readable for me or I have just grown accustomed to - with units that apparently use mixed movement mode - or motorized / tracked - at best against a fortified location with a unit of up to a divisional strength, augmented with static artillery assets. I guess You must have heard about the WWI experiences with such ideas? At best it's something that happened at Cambrai, but they had much wider front there in operation GY and yet it was a doomed enterprise falling short of void victory. Finally, two of those regiments are in not so good condition regarding their supply levels, the rest just a scratch better and only the infantry division is fairly supplied, but then they were allowed only minimal effort.

I'd say I am not surprised at all with the result. You're quite lucky nothing's evaporated / relocated to the rear to be rebuilt.
01-30-2014, 01:19 AM,
(01-29-2014, 09:54 PM)burroughs Wrote: If You play with the vanilla 3.4 version then brace yourself for more of such nasty surprises.

Besides You apparently ordered an all-out assault from a single direction along a single axis of advance, no flanking and on a narrow front from a river hex with swampy terrain - I am not sure, I use the old classic map layout, it's more readable for me or I have just grown accustomed to - with units that apparently use mixed movement mode - or motorized / tracked - at best against a fortified location with a unit of up to a divisional strength, augmented with static artillery assets. I guess You must have heard about the WWI experiences with such ideas? At best it's something that happened at Cambrai, but they had much wider front there in operation GY and yet it was a doomed enterprise falling short of void victory. Finally, two of those regiments are in not so good condition regarding their supply levels, the rest just a scratch better and only the infantry division is fairly supplied, but then they were allowed only minimal effort.

I'd say I am not surprised at all with the result. You're quite lucky nothing's evaporated / relocated to the rear to be rebuilt.

Thank you for your informations.
Actually I had just one turn after, special para group to land men behind...So at the end I could pass in avoiding to sacrify 10x more men than the ennemy single unit who were there..
01-30-2014, 08:26 PM,
Amnesia, try with the new patch Opart 3XBb. It´s here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1180...203XBb.zip

The 3.4 official version has a lot of problems with the combat. Chek this post in Matrix:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp...age=1&key=

BTW. I only use ignore looses when the defender is in mobile status and have been hammered enough before.